Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 02:35 PM   #1

Garaged 7.3 PSD

Hi, looking at 2001 EB 7.3 PSD for $16k. https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-ford-e350-super-duty-73l/6643994860.html

I was told that before purchase, van was garaged for 7-8 years. Then current owner bought van and has since driven it 5,000 miles. Is this a wise/unwise investment? I have no experience with diesels, and will use it as climbing/biking/camping van. I am willing to learn, but don't want to spend a bunch fixing this van over the coming years. I do not know what steps were taken prior to starting the van after the time in the garage, and the current owner doesn't either.

maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Garage
Looks like a nice van and a decent price for one with low miles. I paid close to that price with 60k miles, same year and engine.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #3

With those miles is likely to be in pretty good shape mechanically. If it were me, for that price, I would still have it looked over by a good diesel shop first.

Just keep in mind that despite the low miles it's still a 17 year old van. There will be things failing due to age and use. (see the note about the window needing attention in the add)
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:26 PM   #4

Neither of you would worry that it sat potentially unused for 7-8 years? I'm unsure If I can get it looked at by a diesel shop, but I will try.
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

If it was garaged I'd have a little less worry than if it sat outdoors. Still, a good mechanic could identify potential issues from non-use.
motoidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #6

Looks good in the pics. I would like to see interior. Nice that it is a passenger van. Should have the rear air, etc., already has windows.

If air does not blow cold - figure $600 to $2,000 for repair. There is no such thing as "it just needs to be recharged".

Check to see if it has a LSD / full floater rear end - odds it does not as it is a 2003. If it does, that is a $1.5k value.

You will be looking at $100+ oil changes (4 gals plus filter) every 5 to 8k miles if you want to keep it in top shape.

Price is in the range we paid for our 2002 7.3 with similar mileage three years ago. There are some diesel places in Reno that can check it out. Good hunting!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #7

Sitting can be rough on a vehicle. Brakes often suffer and exhaust can too. If the previous owner put 5000 miles on the van, things that were fragile from sitting should have been discovered in that time period.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Drivers window probably needs a new regulator, mine went and I was able to pick up a new one at Napa and swap it in.....well, more like threw a tantrum and cursed the stupid engineers that designed the door for the better part of 4 hours, tore up my hand trying to remove the freakin rivets and then again trying to line up the new one with the door skin holes to get nuts and bolts tightened up.
Good times.....go for it!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #9

This thing is bound to be trouble. You don't need this in your life. It will likely bankrupt you and ruin all of your relationships to boot.

I'll take one for the team. Where is it?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #10

Having logged 5k miles since it was sitting, would go a really long way for me to worry less about the fact that it was sitting for a number of years.

Even if the AC was charged and is now blowing cold, a compressor that's been sitting for many years is likely leaking around the shaft seal and will need to be replaced eventually.

There may be other issues like that as well, I'd inspect very carefully for leaks, and would pass if it's recently had its engine steam cleaned.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote