Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #21

Re: GAS MILEAGE ?

I have to call bs on chances fuel mileage.
No way its gonna happen like that with a V-10.

>Internet mileage<

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Another approach from an earlier thread on this topic: get 17 mp2g.
Although with this method it can be possible! Why didn't I think of that?!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
Before I dropped in 4.56 gears and made it a dually, my van consistently got 14.5 hwy, hand calculated (ok I cheated and used my phone) driving around the NW, usually around 70. I've done over 500 miles on a tank on occasion, which meant over 15 MPG.
Of course, that was then. Now... It's best not to think about it

BTW - I'm not exactly a conservative driver, but I do use cruise control more often than not on the freeway, mostly to keep myself out of trouble.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #23

I'm lucky enough to have a 5.4 and a 6.8. The 5.4 is 2WD with PH, 3.73 gears and 245s, the 6.8 is a Quigley, 3.73 gears and 265s. Tire pressures are nearly the same, about 65psi on E tires. Both are RB passenger vans without any roof racks, cargo boxes or Thule/Yakima bars. I guessing the Quigley weighs a little more.

The 5.4 gets about 2mpg better than the 6.8 with my normal driving. So if I see about 13mpg on the 5.4 I will see about 11mpg on the 6.8 doing the same driving on the same roads. The 6.8 has a shorter range because of the lower mpg and smaller, cut tank. The 6.8 is kind of a gas pig but no worse than my old F350 with 460 big block.

Ray
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
BTW - I'm not exactly a conservative driver, but I do use cruise control more often than not on the freeway, mostly to keep myself out of trouble.
I probably drive like you. I'm a semi driver (was), and consistency is the name of the game.
Cruise control on the flat and easy hills (not big hills as the cc will down shift to too low a gear).
I run 65-70-73 depending on what I can get away will.
I bought the van as a 2wd w/4.10's and the best I got was 13 mpg.
Went to 4x4 with 285-17's (-33") and hardly ever saw 11 or 12 mpg.
Then went to 4.56's with 295-17's (+33") and exactly the same mpg's, maybe even lower (more under 10 than above), with and occasional 13 mpg flier.

4.56's are the best upgrade to my 4x4 V-10 van. But fuel mileage did not improve.
8600 lbs is 8600 lbs.

People say (on this forum) the V-10 is a revver and should be driven that way.
I agree, but that is for power, not economy. 4.56's (for me) do help the tranny work much easier vs continually downshifting for every darned thing...

To me wind resistance is the biggest factor. It has been said in years past anything over 45 mph and wind resistance is the biggest drawback, regarding fuel mileage and power needed to move you.

I think driving 55-65 mph could be the biggest factor to improved mpg's (with the right gear ratios).
And no, I can't drive that slow either... (although Or hwy 97 is 55 mph for the full length these days-I still run 65)

Here is my opinion for efficient gear ratios for our heavy vans, even with diesel.
31's = 4.10's, 33's = 4.56, 35's = 4.88 gear ratios. It makes a difference.
The reason being is, Ford supplies 4.10's (special order) with the stock small tires (28-29"?) for delivery use, NOT for 31/33/35" tires!

Good on you guys who claim the higher mpg's.

Just my opinion folks!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #25

GAS MILEAGE ?

Is it possible that Chance's 2001 V-10 gets what it gets because:

A) early 6.8's had lower output, close to what 5.4's have now (HP, not TQ.)

B) different EPA standards, I believe current vans are 50 state whereas there may have been 49 state models 11 years ago.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #26

Quote:
Then went to 4.56's with 295-17's (+33") and exactly the same mpg's, maybe even lower (more under 10 than above), with and occasional 13 mpg flier.

4.56's are the best upgrade to my 4x4 V-10 van. But fuel mileage did not improve.
8600 lbs is 8600 lbs.

People say (on this forum) the V-10 is a revver and should be driven that way.
I agree, but that is for power, not economy. 4.56's (for me) do help the tranny work much easier vs continually downshifting for every darned thing...

To me wind resistance is the biggest factor. It has been said in years past anything over 45 mph and wind resistance is the biggest drawback, regarding fuel mileage and power needed to move you.

I think driving 55-65 mph could be the biggest factor to improved mpg's (with the right gear ratios).
Just my opinion folks!
My experiences exactly! V10 Quigley with 4.56 gears and 285/75R17 tires.
The 4.56 gears didn't make ANY difference in my fuel mileage but they sure stopped the tranny hunting between 4th and overdrive. By the way, I drive mainly dirt roads at around 50 mph where I get a consistent 12 mpg. And if I do happen onto pavement and drive 70-75 for a while I still get 12 mpg!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #27

My V10 has the P.I. heads so 305hp stock. It is also a California "Low Emissions Vehicle" (I'm guessing in a relative sense). It had 3.73 gears stock, and I swapped those for 4.30 gears then later for 4.56 gears (partly because 4.30 wasn't quite enough grunt for my 18,000# trailer, and also because I wanted the bigger internals which don't offer a 4.30 option). Empty gas milage went way down for me with the swap, but towing gas mileage went up! This is because the lower gears lets me stay in OD towing, and also keeps me out of the lower gears on all but the steepest hills.

One thing I had consistently observed is the Triton motors take about 10,000 miles to break and get their best gas milage. And wind drag is certainly a huge factor, which 4x4 makes much worse because the front axle is now hanging below the bumper, vs stock IFS which is tucked up out of the air. Also front ride height matters. That's why all the new trucks ride so low.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #28

Quote:

>Internet mileage<
Don't know what to tell you but it's a real number. I often drive from near Houston to south Florida to visit family and it's 1130 miles each way. Have checked distance accuracy against other cars that make the same trip, and also against computer trip planners. Round trip is usually 6 tanks (the last one being a partial). While on the Interstate (which is very flat most of the way) I normally don't fill up until I go well past 400 miles. My best tank was close to 500 miles and it only took 31 gallons; which happens to be the most I've ever put in it. My typical fill-up is in the 27 to 28 gallon range and I rarely stop for fuel before 400 miles.

I rarely use the cruise control unless there is almost no traffic, and never in the few hills of Florida.

For what it's worth, my van is 100 percent stock with the exception of a subframe behind the rear axle, the drop floor, spare mounted on the left rear door, and the interior. Drivetrain is all stock Ford. If others are getting much lower MPG numbers at steady 70 MPH it's likely because of different driving conditions, different vehicle setup, or a heavier foot.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote