Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #11

Finding a clean, low mileage 7.3 van for 10k is going to be tough. There were a couple posted recently and they were in the high teens. Yeah, you can buy a clapped out cargo van for 5k, but youre not going to want to put all the money into one that needs body and paint.

Your conversion cost is pretty close but might want to add a bit more for wheels and tires.

Penthouse top is north of $12k now.

So I really think you're looking at over $40k for the items you list.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #12

If I had to have 4x4, and I was not going to do the conversion myself, I'd keep an eye out for a newer V10 van that was already converted to 4x4 and go from there. I personally wouldn't want to do such a short commute in a diesel - YMMV. The 7.3 may be a bomber engine, but I wouldn't pay the premium for the noise and smell that goes along with it. Have you had a diesel rig before? How about your wife? Don't get me wrong, they certainly have their place but I think you'd be better served to get a gas engine.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Finding a clean, low mileage 7.3 van for 10k is going to be tough. There were a couple posted recently and they were in the high teens. Yeah, you can buy a clapped out cargo van for 5k, but youre not going to want to put all the money into one that needs body and paint.

Your conversion cost is pretty close but might want to add a bit more for wheels and tires.

Penthouse top is north of $12k now.

So I really think you're looking at over $40k for the items you list.
This I think is my big dilemma when I could get a transit 4x4 for 50k new if I got a high top one then there might not be a need for a pop top. Anyone chime in on the transit?
iathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by iathon View Post
This I think is my big dilemma when I could get a transit 4x4 for 50k new if I got a high top one then there might not be a need for a pop top. Anyone chime in on the transit?
86Scotty has a transit that he's done a mild build on. Not 4x4, but he can probably tell you everything about the transit with the amount of seat time he's had in one.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #15

Story time since this sounds identical to my situation about a year ago. I had grown up tent camping in campgrounds my entire life and loved it. Then my older brother took me offroad camping and I was instantly hooked and absolutely had to have an off road camper of my own.

Funny enough I started by looking at 4x4 tacomas with a shell or something on the back to sleep in. My wife and I hadn't started our family yet but we knew we wanted at least 2 kids and we would outgrow the tacoma fast. Tacoma was out. Next stop was looking at ford excursions. I found a couple I really liked on craigslist but we sat down and had a long discussion about exactly what we wanted, and one of the items high on the list was being able to sleep 4 inside the vehicle. No setting up or breaking down tents. Excursion was out. (Although I did find a funny picture of an excursion with a poptop on it...).

That of course led us to a van with a pop top, which ultimately led to a diesel. Other than being influenced by my older brother who had a 7.3 diesel, I chose diesel over gas because the van would hold its value better as it aged, and they generally seem to be more reliable. So I did exactly what you described, spent months scouring craigslist for a low mile 2003 7.3 diesel. Had a couple slip through my fingers (one was under 50k miles), and then finally found one the same day the ad posted with only 91k miles. Asking price was 14,750 and I was able to get him down to 13,500 with the only reason for that being that I showed up to test drive it and make an offer within 12 hours of the ad posting and he didn't actually have to do any work to sell it. He knew he could get his asking price if he wanted to work for it and entertain more customers but he liked the fast easy sale.

Here is my build thread if you want to check out the progress so far.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ild-19704.html

TLDR: I went through the same decision making process as you about a year ago and ended up with an '03 diesel.

In regards to comparing to a transit: Financially I wasn't able to spend 40k up front, so starting at 13.5k and then upgrading as I had the cash made a lot more sense for me. Also, I just personally prefer the econoline look over a transit.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #16

Ill just leave this here...

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/...566482435.html

A little more than your $50k budget on the transit, but its fully built and has the 7.3, 4x4, rear captain seats (for the kids), power pop top, etc. The previous owner had a blog and posted a bunch on their travels. I'm sure someone can find it if they wanted.

Then there's this one. I really like this one's retro paint scheme. Not 4x4, low mileage GAS 5.4 motor. Add 4x4 and you're right there in your $50k budget.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...560264755.html

I should also mention 4x4 Sportsmobiles hold their value regardless of gas or diesel. The difference is your entry point on diesels are higher.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #17

If you don't need the rock-crawling or heavy-towing ability of the E-series, the Transit sure is a nice rig. The high-roof really offers a lot of space for doing toy-hauler type builds, with cargo below a rear platform bed.

As for the 7.3L.... try it before you buy it... It's slow and noisy compared to modern trucks. The only reason it holds it's value so well is because of it's reliability compared to the newer 6.0L PSD (which isn't quite as loud, and pulls better). But with the newest one now being 15 years old, you may be facing maintenance issues on everything else besides the motor....
Old 05-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
If you don't need the rock-crawling or heavy-towing ability of the E-series, the Transit sure is a nice rig. The high-roof really offers a lot of space for doing toy-hauler type builds, with cargo below a rear platform bed.

As for the 7.3L.... try it before you buy it... It's slow and noisy compared to modern trucks. The only reason it holds it's value so well is because of it's reliability compared to the newer 6.0L PSD (which isn't quite as loud, and pulls better). But with the newest one now being 15 years old, you may be facing maintenance issues on everything else besides the motor....
Definitely agree with the try it before you buy it. My commuter car is a prius so when I drive the 7.3 I feel like I am flying down the road. I also tend to be a more relaxed driver when I am in the van so speed isn't an issue for me. It does crush hills and passes like a beast. The noise is a real factor though, make sure it doesn't bother you, or just play your music louder.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #19

I wouldn’t pursue a 7.3 given their age and inflated price tags. If one falls in your lap then great, but don’t convince yourself you need one. A V10 would make you really happy and unless you’re really going to be doing some stuff to need a lot of clearance a Transit with Ecoboost would make you really really happy. I’d also suggest being very open to an GM all wheel drive van. Unless you need to tow heavy, they are great and can be lifted and modified to fit many off-road needs.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #20

So i just might have gotten hooked up with a penthouse used in need of canvas around $500 think i should pull the trigger?
iathon is offline   Reply With Quote