Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #1

Gasser Vs Diesel Vs Transit

Hello All,

I have not seen the perfect answer for this and am new to the forum. I know there has been multiple articles about gas vs diesel.

Here is the skinny:
I am currently in a 2015 Double Cab Tacoma trd offroad with a expanding family. I am looking for the perfect and not crazy expensive rig. I have researched alot and know that I will probably have to build my own. (this is fine since I restore vw busses in my free time). I want a rig that I can go with my kids and camp offroad and in the snow and is dependable enough for my daily driver (14 mile roundtrip commute). As far as I can tell gassers do not hold their value but a dependable diesel is going to be over 10 plus years old (7.3 l diesel). I have also been looking at the quigley transits (50k plus). At the end of the day it seems like my best bet might be to scour the internet and get luck to find a low milage 7.3L then get it converted to 4x4 and add a top via colorado camper or smb....

So overall i think I can convince the wife to let me get something in the 40k range. I need your thoughts on the best all around commuter and family friendly rig. (and no i will not get a sprinter)

iathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

There are already an exhaustive amount of gas vs. diesel threads here. I'll just let you read through the expressed viewpoints to your heart's content and let you decide what's most important to you.

However, if you want a low mileage 7.3L rig as a base for your project, here you go. Don't forget to post pics of your build progress. Welcome to the forum.

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/d/20...579878543.html
Old 05-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iathon View Post
At the end of the day it seems like my best bet might be to scour the internet and get luck to find a low milage 7.3L then get it converted to 4x4 and add a top via colorado camper or smb....

Welcome!!

.....low mileage 2003 7.3L...you and half the folks on the forum.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #4

Low mileage 7.3 vans don't have to cost $10K +
While they are getting a little bit more scares and their prices are climbing there's no need to pay $16,000!
As for your $40K budget, I think you'll be right up against that if not a little bit past.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

Yes I have read a bunch about the different diesels. I think a RB 7.3 is what I am leaning towards although EB might happen. On the other hand I could get a transit 4x4 for around 50k and add a top later. From what I have seen its breaks down like this,

10 k for initial van purchase
14k for 4x4 upfit
10k for top upfit
whatevers left over to scavenge from wrecking yards and my own cabinetry
Old 05-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #6

Anyone have an opionion if I should even consider the transit? Not sure if the transit 4x4 would be that great to wheel over steel or gohler pass in DV....
Old 05-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

https://athensga.craigslist.org/cto/...581880618.html this one seems like it might be a good one to take a chance on and get it shipped
Old 05-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

I think you'll be closer to 20 grand if you go with a quality 4X4 conversion, Soup To Nuts everything included.
As for the 10K Budget on the roof, you could probably get away with half of that if you went with a fixed high top. I currently have a fixed high top and wouldn't trade it for another type of roof. Stealth, convenience, weather, insulation, storage, etc etc etc
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iathon View Post
"I am currently in a 2015 Double Cab Tacoma trd offroad with a expanding family. I am looking for the perfect and not crazy expensive rig. I have researched alot and know that I will probably have to build my own. (this is fine since I restore vw busses in my free time).....

....I want a rig that I can go with my kids and camp offroad and in the snow and is dependable enough for my daily driver (14 mile roundtrip commute)."
Sacrilege (on this forum) I know....but have you considered simply getting a high-quality slide-in bed camper for your Toyota? Some great modern options from Alaskan Camper, Four-Wheel Camper, Earthcruiser, etc....

Seems you've already got a great commuter on your hands in that Tacoma....and for what you're looking to spend in total, it's going to be tough to beat the reliability and off-road chops of a nearly-new/still under factory warranty Toyota 4WD pickup. (Assuming yours happens to be a 4WD example of a TRD.)
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #10

Yeah, I have looked at nausea at four wheel campers and alike. My biggest issue is that I have the shortbed 4x4 and fitting two kids, wife and golden retriever for summer road trips (my wife and I are teachers so we go for weeks at a time). I have had a bunch of vw's in my life but they are crap for reliability. The truck I thought was gonna be perfect but now that I have the kids and dog its just not big enought and I don't want more than one vehicle. That's why a van seems to fit the bill for commuter and boondocker.