Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Got new plugs and have some questions...

So, the service guy at the local Ford dealer wasn't too helpful as he was more concerned over finishing his text than giving me answers...

I am changing the plugs in my V10 and wanted to know a few items...

1) I have heard everything from 11 ft lbs to 27 ft lbs of torque on the plugs. He stated no anti-seize and after checking around, most agree even though it is steel in aluminum... But, the torque figures are going to be different from no anti-seize to using it... So, what torque and how many miles have you had the plugs in at that spec?

2) Gap. The service guy stated that the platinum plugs come pre-gapped. I checked them and they are not all the same. Close, but not the same. Not sure if he was blowing me off or if he is right and I just slap them in...

3) The caps. Was told I didn't need to replace unless they were cracked or damaged or worn out. He stated that I am wasting money buying them unless they need replaced. He might be right at $12 each!!!

Anyways, that's what I am looking for.

Also, anyone got a DIY guide to doing this? I know pulling the seats helps, but what needs removed to do this efficiently and effectively?

Thanks in advance!!

Lizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #2

Re: Got new plugs and have some questions...

1) 11 to 16 ft-lbs is the correct spec. I shoot for 16. Anti-seize should not be used on the 2-valve Triton motors. I have never had a plug that was hard to remove on a 2-valve triton.

2) Platinum plugs should come pre-gapped, because adjusting them can damage the electrode. The parts stores should stock the correctly gapped platinum plug (.052-.054). If it really is too little gap, it's probably been dropped and shouldn't be used anyways. A dropped plug probably has internal damage too that you can't see.

3) I agree on the boots (I think that's what you mean by caps?). If the aren't brittle or cracked, and the springs are not damaged or rusty, they can be re-used. I finally replaced mine at 265k. I could have just done a few, but felt I might as well do them all at once.

Be careful pulling the fuel injector connectors. The little tab is easy to break. Half of mine are now zip-tied. also dont forget the dielectric grease. I don't remove much except the doghouse, the entire air-intake, and I remove the nuts on the main engine wiring harness so I can lift it out of the way.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
1) 11 to 16 ft-lbs is the correct spec. I shoot for 16. Anti-seize should not be used on the 2-valve Triton motors. I have never had a plug that was hard to remove on a 2-valve triton.

2) Platinum plugs should come pre-gapped, because adjusting them can damage the electrode. The parts stores should stock the correctly gapped platinum plug (.052-.054). If it really is too little gap, it's probably been dropped and shouldn't be used anyways. A dropped plug probably has internal damage too that you can't see.

3) I agree on the boots (I think that's what you mean by caps?). If the aren't brittle or cracked, and the springs are not damaged or rusty, they can be re-used. I finally replaced mine at 265k. I could have just done a few, but felt I might as well do them all at once.

Be careful pulling the fuel injector connectors. The little tab is easy to break. Half of mine are now zip-tied. also dont forget the dielectric grease. I don't remove much except the doghouse, the entire air-intake, and I remove the nuts on the main engine wiring harness so I can lift it out of the way.
Dude, you are probably one of the most helpful guys on any forums I have visited. i really appreciate the fact you have patience and knowledgable replies. Thanks a ton and have a great New Year!!

PS, you mention you guys race? What do you guys run? We race motorcycles and have done so professionally a few times. Now, I am too old and just run a few races a season to keep my edge and instruct at track days...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #4

Getting the harness out of the way is the big key. You'll need an extension and universal joint to get to some of the coil nuts. Remember they're metric. Just be gentle with the boots.

I wound up with a lot of cut hands, the middle plugs under the firewall are pretty hard to get to. You'll wind up in all sorts of awkward positions.

You've got the correct plugs, right?

I haven't changed plugs on my new van yet, definitely avoiding it until I have to do it.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Getting the harness out of the way is the big key. You'll need an extension and universal joint to get to some of the coil nuts. Remember they're metric. Just be gentle with the boots.

I wound up with a lot of cut hands, the middle plugs under the firewall are pretty hard to get to. You'll wind up in all sorts of awkward positions.

You've got the correct plugs, right?

I haven't changed plugs on my new van yet, definitely avoiding it until I have to do it.

I bought the Motorcraft plugs (iridium) from the dealership. Heard the thread pitch may be slightly different from OEM to aftermarket so, went with OEM.

I suspect that taking out the front seats will help a ton to wallow around on my belly to get to things. Cut hands are figured to be a thing with working on damn near anything anymore. My wife's car is packed so damn tight that even getting the damn air filter changed bloodies my knuckles.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:53 PM   #6

I used Motorcraft SP479. (plat)

Another thing you want to do, is get a shop vac with a really tiny nozzle, and after you get each coil pack off, carefully run it around the edge of the plug to suck all the dirt and crap out before you remove the plug.

The V10 plug change procedure is really well covered on ford-trucks.com, that's where I looked all this up. On my old van I left it until 80,000 and it was really running poorly, ran great after the new plugs.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #7

BTW - if you need a u-joint, try to find a "wobbly". It's like a CV-joint for sockets. This won't bind up like a u-joint adapter can, which can cause you mis-judge the actual torque applied.