Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #1

H1 Split Rims?

Does anyone know if we can run Hummer H1 split rims on the vans? Weight rating? Backspacing too much? At least for those of us with 8 on 6"...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #2

Re: H1 Split Rims?

I've read you have to run beadlocks with those wheels, which are not legal in all states.

The bolt pattern is correct, but the hub bore of the Hummer 2-piece rims is 4.78" while the E-series has a 4.88" hub, so you would have to enlarge the hub-bore slightly.

H1 wheels have 3.5" of backspacing. The E350 wheels are 4" I think? It looks like aftermarket wheels for the E350 have 4.5"-6" of backspacing typically. The 3.5" backspacing may result in sway bar rubbing up front, unless you add adapters (which would also fix your hub size problem).

I suspect you don't need to worry about weight ratings. Humvees are fat pigs. Even more so than our vans.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I've read you have to run beadlocks with those wheels, which are not legal in all states.
So many fakey beadlocks out there I don't worry... used to run beads on my XJ... of course I'm not in California either.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #4

I'm looking into running the Continental mpt 81 275/80 r20 on my new SMB. Still a lot of research to do. Tire rating is high at 4600 lbs with generous allowance for low pressure running. Problem is finding rims. EarthRoamer using Hutchinson Beadlocks. So far my comms with Hutchinson have been poor. we'll see.

Of concern is total tire and wheel weight. And, these are 37" tires. Still, looks like an attractive option for more aggressive off road, which is my aim.

Not sure how relevant to you initial question, Jage and not meaning to hijack the thread. Just thought you might have similar thoughts.

D'
Old 04-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailshooter
elevant to you initial question, Jage and not meaning to hijack the thread. Just thought you might have similar thoughts.
No problem. Incidentally the solution is simple: mog axles.