Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #1

Has anybody used Amsoil Synthetic Transmission Fluid?

I just ordered 20 quarts of Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid and I am considering changing it out soon. But I feel like I want to do a little more research on Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid before I put the fluid in because I know the transmissions in the 7.3 can be a little touchy. I have been debating on just going with the manufacturers recommendations or the synthetics. Has anybody used Amsoi in their transmission? And if so, does it really run cooler and what other results are you getting? Thanks...

Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #2

Re: Has anybody used Amsoil Synthetic Transmission Fluid?

Veg Head ,
I am now at 18k and have run their fluid since I hit the 3k mark with no problems . I have the Mag Hytec transmission pan ,thanks to Herb and everything seems right on track with this setup on our 6.0 TD .
Gregg
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #3

I talked to Jim today and he said there is a special way to change the fluid by way of a complete fluid exchange. Did you take your SMB to a transmission shop to get this done? Did they put your van on a lift when they did this? Is this the same as a flush? I was going to change the fluid myself but I don't have the know how...Thanks for the input...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

I switched to Amsoil in my transmission at 36,000 miles. Did it myself after a lot of research. It wasn't too bad if you are mechanically competent, but requires two people as you cycle the old fluid out and add new fluid in. I somewhat modified methods I found on the internet. No lift required. This is where it is handy to have a lifted van that you can fit those orange Home Depot buckets under!

I noticed the transmission feeling / shifting smoother (at least it seemed like it to me) after the change. I didn't monitor temps prior, so not sure if it is running cooler or not. I did have a strong smell of tranny fluid which appears to finally be gone. I had found after checking and rechecking that I had slightly over filled and the smell appeared to be coming from the fill tube. Smell was the same as new fluid which is very strong (at least to me). I couldn't find anyone else that experienced the strong tranny fluid smell or get an explanation from Amsoil. The smell is gone though and the van has been running great, so out of sight (smell) out of mind.

Good luck!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
I switched to Amsoil in my transmission at 36,000 miles. Did it myself after a lot of research. It wasn't too bad if you are mechanically competent, but requires two people as you cycle the old fluid out and add new fluid in. I somewhat modified methods I found on the internet. No lift required. This is where it is handy to have a lifted van that you can fit those orange Home Depot buckets under!

I noticed the transmission feeling / shifting smoother (at least it seemed like it to me) after the change. I didn't monitor temps prior, so not sure if it is running cooler or not. I did have a strong smell of tranny fluid which appears to finally be gone. I had found after checking and rechecking that I had slightly over filled and the smell appeared to be coming from the fill tube. Smell was the same as new fluid which is very strong (at least to me). I couldn't find anyone else that experienced the strong tranny fluid smell or get an explanation from Amsoil. The smell is gone though and the van has been running great, so out of sight (smell) out of mind.

Good luck!

Phil
I'm interested in the methods you found on the internet that shows you how to cycle the old fluid out while adding new fluid. If you have a link for this it would be helpful...Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 PM   #6

Here's a few links I had bookmarked from my research on this.

http://www.truckblog.com/forums/topic-1 ... 10w_tranny

http://www.truckblog.com/story-582-1_ho ... ansmission

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23 ... ion-34205/

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f23 ... ns-183746/

I see you have the 7.3 Diesel, so not sure you are tied to the same model transmission as I have. I have a 2005 6.0PSD.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote