Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #11

Each one of those coils is their own special kind of fun, eh? Cripes.

lcrosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #12

Lots of joy, but easier than a head gasket. Since your already there, new plugs might make sense.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:16 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Lots of joy, but easier than a head gasket. Since your already there, new plugs might make sense.
A complete spark plug/COP inspection and replacement as needed also in order. FWIW I NEVER let my own Modular Motors go past 50K miles on plugs.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #14

Most definitely. It was on the docket before summer anyway.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
FWIW I NEVER let my own Modular Motors go past 50K miles on plugs.
I did mine at 110K miles (10K past the Ford recomended interval) the old plugs looked fine, and the gap was still within spec. The engine ran just the same with the new plugs as it did with the old ones which I found amazing. Perhaps driving like an old man is easier on plugs, but it seems they don't wear out nearly as quickly as they use to. I just did my GMC truck too, and it was the same story 100K miles, no detectable wear, no detectable change in performance. I only suggested the OP change them because they are such a pain to get out and he had to pull them to do a compression test anyway.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #16

Not knowing what has and hasn’t been done before makes it a no-brainer. Cheap peace of mind. I’ve got the fuel rail off to make my life easier, so now I’m staring at 8 injectors that are begging to be swapped as well. While-I’m-in-there-itis is in effect. We’ll see how the comp check looks first.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #17

1 = 165/175 (Dry/Wet)

2 = 150/180

3 = 140/170

4 = 130/160

5 = 190/190

6 = 130/175

7 = 145/175

8 = 150/160

(Cyl 5’s plug was really stuck in there and needed a little help from some PB to free up. I’m guessing that’s what caused the higher numbers.)

Doesn’t look like a head or head gasket to me. I guess the intake is the most likely suspect at this point?
Old 03-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

This is probably your problem (pic says 4.6L but 5.4L was typical).

I'd still change the PVC valve while you're in there, in case that contributed.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #19

Anyway to test? I see nothing external that is suspect. The plastic shroud on the doghouse side is *extremely* brittle though. If it’s the same plastic that the mating surface is made of, I’d imagine it’s toasted in there somewhere.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #20

Testing for a blown headgasket at home

I'm not saying this IS your problem, but while personally diagnosing blown head gaskets, I've used a several methods. I don't work on cars for a living, but I do dive in deeper than most guys would dare to. One thing I really must know, for sure, is does it really have a blown head gasket or not. A stuck EGR valve will put oil out the tailpipe. You want to make sure what is coming out the pipe, first.

'Cylinder leakdown' method, 'dye checking for combustion gasses in the coolant' method, 'litmus paper test strips', and the 'air bubbles out the radiator cap' tests are all methods I've used over the years.

A "cylinder leakdown test" which requires some tools (cylinder leakdown gauge and regulator tool, an air compressor capable of a constant 80-100psi, etc) along with removing each sparkplug, some knowlege of valve timing, and often a way to keep air pressure from pushing the piston down the bore from the 100psi of air pressure. It's the most direct reading and scientific of the methods, but takes the longest and isn't 100%. The idea is that by pressurizing the combustion chamber, measuring the leakage differential (using a dual gauge leakdown checker) will tell you percentage of leak, and give you a good idea of where the air is escaping. I own a Tavia brand dual gauge type that I bought through Jegs.

(JEGS Performance Products 80520: Dual Gauge Leak-Down Tester | JEGS)

You can also use the hose that comes with some compression testers, but you really want to regulate and measure psi someway. You pressurize the combustion chamber at the sparkplug hole, open the radiator cap or degas bottle cap and look for bubbles, or listen for escaping air if the system is drained. Sometimes 100psi isn't enough pressure to simulate 300psi-1200psi experienced in a running engine, and you can get a false negative. This happened to me once. Still, if the combustion chamber has even a moderate sized path to the cooling circuit, opening the degas bottle cap and pressurizing each cylinder one at a time through it's sparkplug hole is a pretty good test. It won't however, tell you if you have a coolant to oil system leak. But there's the 'milkshake test' for that :-)

Dye checking for combustion gasses with a kit from Napa (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006) has worked well for me. You drain and flush the system a couple times, run the engine long enough to open the thermostat (or better, remove the thermostat before stating the test). You sample the cooling water and add a few drops of dye that comes with the kit. Then just read the color against the chart. You can get cross contamination form your hands, fumes in the shop, so it's best to repeat the test a couple times to limit the chances of getting a false positive.

The paper strips are junk, they go bad after a few months if not kept in an airtight container. My local auto parts store had some that came in a non-airtight container, and didn't work, showed a false negative if I remember right. (https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Trak-311...asket+test+kit)

The air bubbles test has worked the best for me. You purchase a Lisle radiator funnel with the degas bottle and adapters (Lisle-24680). Attached, you run the engine, using the funnel to re-fill the cooling system more than full (such that the funnel is always at the halfway mark) You purge the cooling system of air, kneading the radiator hoses expelling trapped air, lettin gthe engine come up to full temperature. You keep the funnel attached, and full to the halfway mark at all times. Once you're sure all the trapped air is out, you look into the funnel like it's a wishing well, watching for air bubbles, sometimes for 20 minutes. Holding the rpms at 1500-1800 helps. If you have a 'blown head gasket', a leak between the cooling system and the combustion chamber, it won't stop blowing tiny bubbles. At idle (under high vacuum), the coolant level will often continue going down, where the intake cycle draws cooling water into the cylinder, and pumps it out the tailpipe.