Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Red face Head Studs without cab/ engine off?

I have a 2007 6.0 PSD Van. Has only about 44k miles, EOT/ECT and the deltas seem to be in spec with everything I have read. Putting in ELC EAC-1 this week. Will be doing a 4x4 with 6" and 35" tires. Going for 3.73 gearing option, already secured front and rear diffs for the swap.

Now to the main question, wanted to get a tune, so wondering if i can swap the arp head studs one by one without the cab or the engine off? I looked up online but couldn't find info on doing this on Van.

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

6.0 most but not all
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
6.0 most but not all
I'm interested in knowing about van
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

I would also like to know this, in my research it seems most of the trouble for the pickups is the rear bolts near the firewall, in a van access is decent at the rear once the doghouse cover is removed just not sure if there is enough height to extract and install.

Would love to hear from the 6L experts here!
waren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #5

It can be done, at least on the trucks, but I'd be worried about water leaks. And the torque on each fastener is critical and would be difficult to achieve with the engine in place on a van. And might have to do the same thing to gain access to remove injectors on the passenger side which is raise and then lower the engine after removing the engine mount.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply JoeH, can you expand on water leaks? I understood the studs bottom in the block so I assume they aren’t open to the coolant or crank case.

I totally get the proper torque challenge, the only hope I would have of hitting 210 ft-lbs would be if I could torque all the bolts from inside the van. It should be possible the main challenge I would see is removing/installing bolts/studs that may interfere with the dash firewall.

It’s not clear on BadgerTrek’s website if or how they installed the Head studs.

On the subject of bulletproofing is there a definitive date on the vans where the improved HPOP fittings were installed? I can easily see the turbo lines but not the fittings.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waren View Post
Thanks for the reply JoeH, can you expand on water leaks? I understood the studs bottom in the block so I assume they aren’t open to the coolant or crank case.

I totally get the proper torque challenge, the only hope I would have of hitting 210 ft-lbs would be if I could torque all the bolts from inside the van. It should be possible the main challenge I would see is removing/installing bolts/studs that may interfere with the dash firewall.

It’s not clear on BadgerTrek’s website if or how they installed the Head studs.

On the subject of bulletproofing is there a definitive date on the vans where the improved HPOP fittings were installed? I can easily see the turbo lines but not the fittings.
My guess is Badger pulled the engine. He was rather handy that way and an OG go-to for E series mods back in the day. By water leaks I meant head gasket issues.

The 2005+ vans got the upgraded HPOP and is much more reliable than the 2003/2004 but I don't think the Snap-to-connect fitting change wasn't made until 2008. https://www.forddoctorsdts.com/artic...connector-r20/

The oil drain tube update was in 2007.
6.0L Power Stroke Model Year Changes

Some handy links for running changes, updates, service bulletins, and troubleshooting.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man...ble%20Book.pdf
6.0 PowerStroke bulletins
Old 10-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #8

Lots of E-series get her work done cab-on. It’s pretty much impossible to pull a cutaway body on most builds. That said.... pulling the motor is probably less work, because you’ll inevitably find other things that need work too. Or maybe a leaky bed plate.

BTW - you’d need a pretty hot tune before the head studs become an issue. Most of the head gasket issues are from fuel injector issues, and sometimes an oil cooler rupture, causing hydro lock. If you’re moving when it happens, or you hook up some extra juice for jump starting, it’ll lift the head.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #9

Thanks guys!

I have an 06 so I’ll be ordering the HPOP fittings and turbo lines, I’ll check out the other updates as well.

Ive been running the SCT generic tow tune, for about 13,000 miles with no issues (94,000 miles total on the van) or evidence of head gasket failure based on used oil analysis. Strangely, SCT doesn’t list the vans as supported, and even confirmed via email they are not supported ... I thought I may as well try it before I order a custom tune and the X4 identified the strategy and loaded perfectly. What I’m not sure of is if I’m running a truck or van specific tune. The SCT did accurately correct tire size and EGR mod.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waren View Post
Thanks guys!

I have an 06 so I’ll be ordering the HPOP fittings and turbo lines, I’ll check out the other updates as well.

Ive been running the SCT generic tow tune, for about 13,000 miles with no issues (94,000 miles total on the van) or evidence of head gasket failure based on used oil analysis. Strangely, SCT doesn’t list the vans as supported, and even confirmed via email they are not supported ... I thought I may as well try it before I order a custom tune and the X4 identified the strategy and loaded perfectly. What I’m not sure of is if I’m running a truck or van specific tune. The SCT did accurately correct tire size and EGR mod.

The canned tunes were written for the trucks so PCM timing and fuel tables are different. Cool that it is working for you but generally a van requires a custom tune. There are lots of differences with the trucks besides a PCM controlled alternator, transmission tow-haul, reduction in HP, etc.