Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 11:16 PM   #111

Viva,
I read your original question. I did not read the next 10 pages of replies though. Before you pull everything apart, might want to check that the blend door (directly above where front passenger’s feet hit firewall). That flapper door sometimes gets blocked by leaves or debris. Next, you might want to check out my post in this related thread covering vacuum hoses and reservoir.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nts-17921.html
In your case, with gas engine, you need the vacuum reservoir and related hoses all intact and airtight. The hoses may have cracked near connections to vacuum reservoir. It is important to note that with a gas engine, you cannot delete the vacuum reservoir like you can on a diesel. It holds some vacuum between trips. Easiest way to reconnect new hoses (if necessary) is to cut an access hole (at 12:00 above front right tire at top of inner fender). The reservoir on all Ford vans is between inner fender and fender. If that is necessary, make a coverplate for hole and add your favorite undercoating afterward. Hope this helps. Cheers!

VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #112
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOODOO7.3 View Post
Viva,
I read your original question. I did not read the next 10 pages of replies though. Before you pull everything apart........

Quite unfortunate you didn't read the numerous replies because for the most part this issue has been asked, answered and solved in a way. UNTIL or UNLESS one removes hot coolant from the heater core--where its present 100% of the time--we'll have "heated" vents. The numerous fixes proposed and implemented to good effect shows its NOT necessarily related to the blend door, neither mechanically or electric controls.

Your suggestions would work IF something were amiss in the control portion of the HVAC system---we determined earlier on that wasn't the case here. Additionally this issue was originally presented for solution way back in 2014!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 12:23 PM   #113

oldbonesclimber -- what van - what engine ? - when you installed your Max AC, etc. ? Thanks - if you're still out there ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:28 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Quite unfortunate you didn't read the numerous replies because for the most part this issue has been asked, answered and solved in a way.

The numerous fixes proposed and implemented to good effect shows its NOT necessarily related to the blend door, neither mechanically or electric controls.

Your suggestions would work IF something were amiss in the control portion of the HVAC system---we determined earlier on that wasn't the case here. Additionally this issue was originally presented for solution way back in 2014!
I spent half a day yesterday reading about this problem, researching (LOL) youtube, and scowering through my 3 FSMs. Only this morning did I start working backward in this thread to find some solutions. I had started at the beginning and quit when it seemed to be going nowhere.

Even at this point, I don't know what the issues really for warm vents..

Someone should consolidate the pertinent information into a short sticky thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
UNTIL or UNLESS one removes hot coolant from the heater core--where its present 100% of the time--we'll have "heated" vents. The numerous fixes proposed and implemented to good effect shows its NOT necessarily related to the blend door, neither mechanically or electric controls.
This suggests that there are heated vent in COOL with the blend door closed to the heater core coming from the factory on all engine sizes.

I know there is always coolant in the heater core, but I never felt warm air in my 1997 E-350 5.4L or really any of the other Econolines I have.

So is the claim that this heated vent is a factory design defect or a degraded condition due to something else?

FWIW my interest is in the 2000 E-350 XLT V10 having such heating problems and what I could potentially do about it.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:39 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
I
I know there is always coolant in the heater core, but I never felt warm air in my 1997 E-350 5.4L or really any of the other Econolines I have.
Can't speak for any other Econolines...but my 2007 sure has the problem. If the outside temperature is over 50 degrees I can't just run fresh air through the vents. I have to have the a/c on also, otherwise it gets too hot inside.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:45 AM   #116

I think this is a great summary post and should be somewhere so that it is easier to find. I added my own thoughts which I more or less concluded yesterday.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post327888

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Installing a shut off valve has proven to improve A/C performance for lots of us. In a fit of desperation, (it was about 105deg's in the shade and I was suffering badly) I simply clamped the hose shut and the difference in cooling was quite noticeable. As you may know, this issue is caused by the heater core being right behind the blend door, next to the plenum where the evaporator supplys cold air. If the blend door leaks even a little, hot air from the heater core mixes with cold air, raising the outlet temp.
The Climate Control system from Ford is designed for perfection. If the A/C and the flap doors are perfect and you don't overheat the engine (and on and on) it all works adequately.

Quote:
Even if the blend door doesn't leak air, eventually that plenum will heat up the whole box, again raising the outlet temp, although not as much. It might also depend on how well your A/C is working. If it's a little low on refrigerant, or the condenser or evaporator is partly blocked, cutting off heated coolant will make a bigger difference.
The problem with using the heater core as an on-demand heat source is that the energy going in is too variable based on all conditions and engine/build configurations. If they had designed the CCS with a thermostatically controlled bypass valve then all conditions of operation could have been automatically accounted for.

Quote:
As for a bypass valve verses a shut off valve, I have to believe Ford used a bypass valve for some reason. I had no problems for the short time I had it clamped off , but I can see how a reduced or eliminated coolant flow could cause a hot spot in the head somewhere. It might not become obvous for some time though, and a small area of excessive heat would probably not be picked up by any sensors unless they were quite close to the spot. Then again, perhaps it doesn't matter, but why did Ford use a bypass valve rather than a less expensive shutoff valve?
I have to agree it is unknown whether a block-off will create a long-term hot spot. Even more so how that restricted flow might affect a 4.6L/5.4L vs 6.8 V10 or 7.3 diesel.

Further, I read the exchange with JWA and can not see that monitoring OBDII is sufficient visibility into the block/head temperatures to identify any localized heating/not spots even setting aside the fact that these tests were on a 5.4L vs the bigger engines.

If you bypass the flow and return it to the block, then you are maintaining the same flow patterns through the engine. If you block off that flow then you are altering that flow. It probably doesn't matter but under extreme duty (bigger engines in heavily loaded 4x4 to trailer conditions) it might matter enough to cause a problem (e.g. blow head gaskets).

I posted this yesterday. The video identified the same bypass solenoid as artic traveler., my only contribution is where to install the bypass to control both front and rear heater cores.

Using this valve you are pretty much stuck with adding a vacuum switch to control it

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post327891

HOWEVER, Scalf77 previously posted using the BLUE vacuum control line for controlling a heater core block off.

This works well with a bypass valve as well.

When you use the Sol #2 BLUE (control line) = VACUUM, then you get a bypass cutoff signal for all hot to moderate conditions including MAX AC (recirculation), NORM AC (fresh air), and VENT (fresh air).

When Sol #2 BLUE = No Vacuum then coolant flow is restored for cooler but normal operations in OFF (recirculate), FLOOR (Fresh), MIX (Fresh) and DEF (fresh).

In this configuration the only difference between VENT and FLOOR is that VENT has no heater core flow and cooler air comes out through the dash registers (top drop) while in FLOOR there is heater core flow and the hotter air exits from the floor (to rise).

Remember the blend door works in all modes and that it is intended in FLOOR mode the dial will be adjusted in the HOT range. When in VENT it will be adjusted in the COOL range (but now with no heater core flow with negligible effect).

If you find the HEAT mode getting too hot even with the blend door all the way to COOL, you can then switch to VENT (blend door will become less effective as the heater core cools off). If it gets too cold, switch back to HEAT and re-adjust the blend DOOR. To put it simply, switching between VENT and FLOOR on the dash will open and close the Flow through the heater core giving you complete control at the only time you need it.

This thing should have come from the factory this way (coolant bypass valve controlled off same BLUE control line to #2 vacuum motor.
Attached Thumbnails
DASH_REAR_HeaterCoreBypassREVISED.jpg   SOL2_BLUE VACUUM_Bypass valve Control.jpg  
Old 01-05-2024, 10:47 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Can't speak for any other Econolines...but my 2007 sure has the problem. If the outside temperature is over 50 degrees I can't just run fresh air through the vents. I have to have the a/c on also, otherwise it gets too hot inside.
Most of my E-350's life was in Santa Barbara on the coast where it is 60-80 degF most of the year .