Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #71
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Heater valve bypass to fix "heated dashboard vents"?

Yep, what he ^^^ said!

I do notice though Viva, the OP has been eerily quiet of late---did we scare him off or he out figuring all this out on his own?

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #72

Hi, no, you haven't scared me off at all! I'm thrilled that others are interested and the thread is humming along. I've been (and still am) "off grid" in a canyon for a week or so. Just happened to get a spot of Internet tonight, and and am skimming the forum (no time for more).

Scalf77: Admittedly I'm reading fast here (will take more time when I get back to civilization), but are you saying that because of some variation the vans have as compared to trucks, the Max Air is all that is needed to have "non heated vents"? The Cold Rush is only needed for trucks? (Apologies if this is obvious upon more careful reading.)

I'll be back for real in a few days or so.

Viva
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #73

Viva,

Yes, the Dieselsite Max AC will work on the vans.
Van Function Vacuum Selector Switch Position

Choosing Port 4 gives us Vacuum in the "Max A/C", "A/C", and "Vent"position

Truck Function Vacuum Selector Switch Position

Choosing Port 1 gives us Vacuum only on "Max A/C"
Port 4 is not used on Trucks, and Port 6 would also gives us Vacuum "Flr/Pnl" position, one that you probably want hot water going to the heater core.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM   #74

Back online for a minute before leaving this one special canyon spot (from which I can see phone tower on a distant peak ). Scalf 77: Thanks, I see just what you mean now with the charts. So this looks really slick, in that it is an off the shelf solution (well, still have to get it ONTO the van, which may be the hard part, but still) and we with vans don't need to do the annoying thing of having to buy the "Max AC" just to get "The Cold Rush" and have ambient vents. So we get the non-heated vents and then as a bonus also the colder AC (not that I needed that, but it can't hurt), right? Sweet, finally the vans get something better than the trucks

I agree that if I'm using the "foot" selection, I'm fine with having that be warm - it's the vents I really wanted for those nice days (60's and 70's).

So cool that you figured this out and posted it. And JWA is figuring out an alternative, too. We have such great folks here - I love this place!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:42 AM   #75
JWA

Good to know you're having fun Viva---we're still slaving away working on YOUR problem here, just for you.

I've got to admit this is one of the better threads I've participated in and could actually contribute something useful. Greg's contributions give a huge insight into the Dieselsite products so there are now at least two different and effective approaches to this issue.

I'm glad to be part of this thread and a site where collaboration is part and parcel of it all.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #76

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Nice work guys!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #77

Actually got to test this out a couple of weeks ago at the beach, while the rest of the country has been having a cold spell, we in Oregon have been having some unusually nice weather for this time of year. I just turned the knob to vent and cooled the van nicely. Works like a vent setting should now.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 PM   #78

Great to hear! I bought the "Max AC, " along with a 90º vacuum line sized elbow and some extra vacuum hose (just in case). I'm going to try the routing you did. Just have to get up my nerve to cut that coolant hose (I always seem to be out in the boonies, so there is the added pressure to get it right).

'course it was easy to put it off over the past six months or so when heat was welcome.... now it's time to get cracking - this is a good motivator.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 AM   #79
JWA

Just as I was wondering where Scalf77 and Viva had disappeared to.......

Glad your system is working to satisfaction Greg. I hope to install or modify my existing system this spring to also get cooler vents when full A/C really isn't necessary.

Hope to see how Viva's install goes too.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #80

Why couldn't I just use a manual quarter turn ball valve? I rarely ever use my heat here.
jblaze5779 is offline   Reply With Quote