Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
Would cracked head flood cylinders?
Yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Coolant in cylinders both sides. EGR cooler is a bullet proof one and clean. Looks like cracked heads. I parked it running after normal idle cooldown. I simply cannot understand this disaster. Longing for my 7.3 back.
Here is where it gets difficult. The timing of your hydrolock made me initially suspect fuel, because it would be very rare for coolant to enter the engine only after running, without burning coolant prior to shut-down (that said... it may not make white smoke, and not everybody will detect the smell of burning coolant).

The fuel system could still be the root cause, and the attempts are starting it simply lifted the heads, causing the coolant to then rush in. BTDT. Unfortunately there's no way to find out for sure until a full tear down. And doubly unfortunate: the 6.0 is almost the definition of sunk-cost fallacy.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #23

Garage
I called buds today. The manager was nice and said it would be a lot easier to help if I was local. I realize I’m an owner away from the original customer who did it and how long ago it was. I’m out of luck with them. I’ll know more later this week. Maybe I can pry the Cummins away from Michael at expo vans and swap bodies! No matter what happens I caught a nearly lethal case of the 6.0 flu. I’ll keep the curious and sympathetic posted on this very strange situation. Footnote is that this van ran perfect every minute I have owned it up to and including the minute I parked it. It never smoked white or black. I must have happened idling down. It is in very good hands with Rob at fleet services. This is his 4th 6.0 sports mobile btw.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 PM   #24

So sorry to hear this, best of luck.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 PM   #25

Yikes

Was hoping it was something simple & cheap, but I suppose neither of those words are found in the same sentence as "six liter".

I'd ponder the ability to swap out 6.0 liters for 5.9 liters, but my guess is that's a no-go unless it's registered in a no-smog state.
Erik
Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post

I'd ponder the ability to swap out 6.0 liters for 5.9 liters, but my guess is that's a no-go unless it's registered in a no-smog state.
Erik
Oregon is pretty loose when if comes to engine swaps. For starters, diesels aren't smog tested. You are supposed to meet the same emissions certification or better but since the 6.0 only met 2004 emissions ('08+ were only compliant because Ford had some credits banked with the EPA) so a common-rail 5.9L would still meet the letter of the law.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Oregon is pretty loose when if comes to engine swaps. For starters, diesels aren't smog tested. You are supposed to meet the same emissions certification or better but since the 6.0 only met 2004 emissions ('08+ were only compliant because Ford had some credits banked with the EPA) so a common-rail 5.9L would still meet the letter of the law.
I'm sure 5.9L's have their own unique set of problems, and I'm not sure how well one would lend itself to en Econoline swap... but I don't think they had an EGR, so it's one less thing to worry about... The aftermarket for them is also quite large.

One might hope the Cummins is easier to keep cool and as such could be turned up farther, but I would be (at least somewhat) concerned about it tearing things up if turned up too much.

Anyways, I'll probably be lurking, interested to see if the 6 gets rebuilt or replaced. I think it would be exciting to see it get replaced.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Maybe I can pry the Cummins away from Michael at expo vans and swap bodies!
Last i checked the whole van was sale and they had a buyer for it!
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Coolant in cylinders both sides. EGR cooler is a bullet proof one and clean. Looks like cracked heads.
Have been following the thread hoping for a reasonable or easy "fix", Sorry to hear the outcome.
Not much anyone can say will help alleviate the burden of repair, or offer peace from the frustration you must be overwhelmed with. Very unfortunate, Especially in the wake of all the work you recently had done.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #30

Garage
I so appreciate all of your support and following this with me. Yesterday we were ready to order the new OEM heads and begin pulling the motor. Well as luck would have it Rob drained the oil getting things going this morning and found that it was not coolant in the cylinders but dyed methanol from the snow performance meth injection kit. The methanol found its way into the oil. Great news for me. He is going to tidy up a few things, pull the system off, replace the radiator, and install a pyro in place of the snow kit. I feel like I only was grazed by the bullet but didn't fully dodge it. I thought you all would like to hear the outcome.