Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #11

The 6.0 definitely needs more the 8v to turn over, between all the voltage needed to energize the FICM, Glow Plugs etc etc. It's very strange the battery and starter both went bad at the same time? Did you make sure the terminals on the new battery are secured well?

About hydro locking, did you change your EGR/ OIL cooler when you had the engine work done? Were you watching EOT/ ECT delta's? If the delta's were normal and the EGR cooler was replaced with high quality one, it's likely not hydro locked.

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #12

Garage
The starter is definitely trying and I think maybe the voltage meter wasn’t reading properly because it’s doing the same sort of attempt at starting that it did even with the low-voltage. The EGR cooler is a bulletproof diesel model and all of the indications are that anything coolant related would’ve been taken care of. The van has a coolant filter a bulletproof diesel cooler and monitor shows 14.8v for chassis batteries. All of this tells me that it is Hydro locked and I will be pulling the glow plugs next week with my friend Joe. Keep the questions coming. I’m hoping the front glow plugs aren’t too hard. Planning on rear being easier. I can get glow plugs for 10 bucks each and harnesses for 54 so I plan on those being new even if I find them in decent condition.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
The 6.0 definitely needs more the 8v to turn over, between all the voltage needed to energize the FICM, Glow Plugs etc etc. It's very strange the battery and starter both went bad at the same time? Did you make sure the terminals on the new battery are secured well?

About hydro locking, did you change your EGR/ OIL cooler when you had the engine work done? Were you watching EOT/ ECT delta's? If the delta's were normal and the EGR cooler was replaced with high quality one, it's likely not hydro locked.

Based on the how things came out batteries were fine. I threw the interstates on the charger and they went full green in 20 seconds after I hooked them up. I have the van on shore power and 250 watts of solar. The sure power was jumped to join banks in charging. I think the balmar monitor threw a false warning. Now it shows 16v over charge warning sometimes when I open the van.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post

I have AAA and my shop has 2 lifts so I can at least get it here and in the air.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #15

Garage
Well the first report back from Rob at fleet service is that the motor will not turn either direction somewhat ruling out hydrolock. Anyone know what would cause a perfectly running 6.0 with less than 20k to lock up? His initial thoughts were that this was very bad news.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:17 PM   #16

Garage
Definitely not the kind of news anyone wants to hear...I get nauseous just reading that! Dont have the technical background to even make any suggestion(s), but sure hope one of the guru's here can offer you alternative measures that dont include what your Shop seems to be alluding to.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #17

I don't think the inability to turn it backwards completely rules out hydrolock. Just means it's more than one cylinder if it is. I think pulling the glow plugs is still the right thing to do. If at that point you find dry cylinders, then I think you have good cause to send it back to the rebuilder.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #18

Garage
Coolant in cylinders both sides. EGR cooler is a bullet proof one and clean. Looks like cracked heads. I parked it running after normal idle cooldown. I simply cannot understand this disaster. Longing for my 7.3 back.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #19

Would cracked head flood cylinders? I'm thinking the egr failed and leaked coolant to cylinders via head?
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
Coolant in cylinders both sides. EGR cooler is a bullet proof one and clean. Looks like cracked heads. I parked it running after normal idle cooldown. I simply cannot understand this disaster. Longing for my 7.3 back.
Regardless it's a 6.0 I believe Bud Diesel has a lot of explaining to do about what they did to this motor 20k miles ago. A whole lot of explaining.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote