Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #11

Re: Help fast! Tranny blew in salt lake in a trip

I've done this (more than once). Leads to a moment of panic, until I get it figured out. OP doesn't have an Atlas, but can happen to just about any manually shifted t/case.Herb[/quote]

Yup, happened to me too, but at least it's an easy fix................

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #12

I was only hoping it was something as simple as shifting the t-case into neutral accidentally. That however was not the case. I'll keep this thread updated as things progress. Thanks for all the help and comments.
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #13

Sounds like maybe it is not the transmission, but if it is, I'll just mention John Wood Automotive. He specializes in Ford transmissions and did a great repair on mine (that, because I wanted to, turned into an upgrade/hardening of the transmission). It's now a much better transmission than the stock one I came in with.

I went to his shop (in Cali, a bit west of Yuma, AZ), but he had transmissions coming in and going out all day long to/from other shops (in special, transmission shaped cases no less). So if you are at a shop that can send it out, that may be an option.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM   #14

Garage

When that happened to me it turned out to be the rear diff.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #15

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

So, it is not the transmission. Most likely the transfer case, and may just be a linkage problem.

You need to get someone to get under there and diagnose the problem for you - probably not a big deal as you didn't have any single catastrophic event.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:46 PM   #16

Well, it was the transfer case. Somehow this 07 got through with the no lube style shaft that does not have the holes drilled to keep everything running as it should. Apparently this is a known issue? I have a buddy here who is a master guild Audi technician and he gave me the tests (using transfer case to check for different results while in and out of gear) to differentiate between the tranny and transfer case. Once that was sorted I called advanced 4x4 and talked with Randy about what it might be. He was confident it was the transfer case as well. He was super busy, but given the circumstances he fit me in. My van was back on the road by 2:30! I have read many mixed reviews on advanced 4x4. I try to speak based on First hand experience otherwise we are just perpetuating rumor. The service was outstanding, prices were fair, and if feel like I made some friends in the process. Ellis, a mechanic at Advanced 4x4 helped me sort out my rear suspension as well. Again, I'm speaking from personal experience and was extremely satisfied with advanced 4x4. They got me back on the road in less than one business day, were very cool, and extremely fair in price. Thanks to all of you who responded quickly with helpful information, this site is priceless. Hopefully I'll have a chance to a
Share a campfire with you all someday!
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Check the transfer case?
That was an easy call...

Glad you are back on the road!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #18

Always good to hear that a trip has been salvaged and not turned in to a horror story.

Carry on!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote