Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Help: Van starting issues, ignition switch replace, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb

Yup... But when you get into the parts catalogs, you still have to search solenoid for both spots! Places like the dealer or NAPA will figure it out. Ask for a starter relay at AutoZone...who knows what you'll walk out the door with....
Usually a gallon of "new car scent", Daffy Duck floor mats and a head bobbing dog for a car's rear deck, complete with turn signal eyes?

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #12

Just replaced the starter and the solenoid this afternoon. Wow, the starter has to be one of the easiest mechanical parts to replace in a Ford van! Went with a new NAPA starter and a NAPA/Echlin solenoid. $150 total. BTW, NAPA has their "bucket sale" going on, where anything that fits in their NAPA 5-gallon bucket is 20% off (you have to buy the bucket for $3, but saved me over $30).

I guess time will tell if this solves the problem or not. As it was intermittent, no way to tell immediately. As I look back at the symptoms, the no-start does seem to happen after driving the van for a while (30-45 minutes), when the engine is hot. So JWA's theory is plausible. I'll probably take it on a 30+ minute joyride, bring it home, and then try to hot-start it to see if the problem reoccurs. Hoping this took care of it (figured both of those items were worth replacing as preventative maintenance, anyway, since the van is 16 years old).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Plausible?!?!?!

That heat soak condition can fool anyone not familiar with it---in fact it was an auto electrical component rebuilder who first taught me about it.

During your test run the van kinda hard, shut it down and let it sit for 2 minutes or so. In that time engine heat will have had time to radiate outward into the engine bay and have its effect. Most likely you've cured your starting problems.

Starters on these 5.4 & 6.8 motors seem to last almost forever---and easy to replace when/if that time comes.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Plausible?!?!?!
Ok, ok... "probable."
Old 04-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #15

So… over the last few months I have had starting issues which have been getting progressively worse. It started with a delay when I would turn the key to start. Nothing would happen for a split second but if I kept it turned it would start as normal after one maybe two seconds. This didn't happen all the time but probably about 10% of the time. This got progressively worse with the occasional no start. When it wouldn't start I would get no sound or anything. Open the hood, clean connections, close the hood and it would start. Now for the last few days it would not start at all. batteries are new within the last few months and 12.8 every time I check. I asked the guys at ujoint while there for new rotors a month ago and they said my starting solenoid looked ok. I read this thread and decided to try jumping the fender solenoid with some pliers and it starts right up. Can I therefore assume that the fender solenoid is the issue?
LFFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #16

It's cheap and easy to replace. Might as well replace it and see if it does the trick.