Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2022, 08:41 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9
Help with a newly purchased 2005 6.0 PSD

Looking for some advice here folks. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just picked up a 6.0L that I was told is bulletproofed. Here is a list of what was done so far:

New Head studs
New Head gaskets
Updated oil cooler (not the air cooled one from BF)
EGR equipment is still installed for visual inspection but has the block off EGR is off/deleted
Bed plate leaks resolved
Blue spring update
HPOP and fittings replaced
New glow plugs
New FICM Edge insight CTS gauge package for monitoring

The van is quite heavy and does have the Aluminess front and rear bumper. I live in Colorado and when driving up I70 from Golden to Genesee I am seeing some high temps that worry me. Yesterday, in 90 ish degrees F I reached these temps before exiting the freeway in Evergreen:

228 ECT
242 EOT
196 TFT

Are these temps okay or would you address this if it were your SMB? Would you install a BPD Oil Cooler?

When I am driving slow winding mountain roads I am seeing TFT temps over 220 and one time it reached 226 on the tranny fluid temp. Is this something I should be concerned with or address with a TruCool 4000?

Lastly, the previous owner had a SCT x4 Tuner and I think he is using the canned tunes that are setup for the truck. I put the tune back to "transmission only" and off of the 65HP tow tune. That did not change much, still have the temps listed above. I don't need the extra HP from these tunes and I would like to keep the vehicle as reliable as possible and on the road, out of the shop. I've read through many threads on temps and tunes but still feel my temps are high and I'd like to lower them if possible. I know the bumper is not helping but we removed the bumper and took it for the same drive and came up with, on average, 6 degrees cooler. Do you think this canned SCT Tune is casing the high temps? I had the coolant tested and it's good with solid flow and no blockage so the shop says that is NOT the issue. They recommeded I get more airflow, duh, but I know there are folks out there with the same bumper and not seeing anywhere near this high for temperatures.

What tunes are you guys running and would you recommend them? I see DP Tune, Power Hungry, and 5 Star, etc brought up a lot on these forums. I also see just doing a FICM tune. I'm a little confused on where I should go and what I should try to hopefully lower these temps before adding new or supplemental cooling. Any words of advice out there for me?

Let me know folks. I appreciate the help!

Thomas
__________________

tbonebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Team
 
daveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turlock Ca
Posts: 10,364
Garage
With my bullet proofed 2006, I've seen 228 ECT especially in the stock tune configuration but your higher EOT is suspicious IMO. Mine never has more than a 11 degree spread on a normal flat ground driving. Driving in the hills during hot weather I might see higher temps (such as around 228ECT 238EOT) on steep grades (15-26% grade) in warm weather & my TFT might reach close to 210 on the those grades. Usually I see the higher transmission temps (220+) when slowly crawling 4x4 trails in hot weather. With my engine tuned (DP 60HP) (Atlas 40HP FICM) my temps are all much lower. I do have an aggressive fan operation. I had a SCT tuner and used a canned tune but it didn't work out for me and purchased the N-Dash DP with a specific tune. It drops the temps by 10 degrees over the stock tune, But even with the stock or SCT tune I never had such a spread on the EOT/ECT. [edit] I do have a coolant filter and replace the coolant about every 2 years or more if I've got more than normal mileage over the year. Unfortunately I'm not a gear head so I can't say why you are seeing such a spread. I also did the upgraded stock oil cooler @90K and it has worked well for me. YMMV but I'd also be concerned about the higher oil temps.
__________________

__________________
2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB 4X4 Rock Crawler Trailer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,845
Garage
Several Threads here on this topic, with a lot of good info. I had similar issues that developed going uphill or going slow, these were mostly tied to the weight of the Van (2006 Sportsmobile with the 6.0 // 11,800lbs & fully bulletproofed), and have been able to 'control' my temps doing the following:
**Mishimoto aluminum radiator
**Mishimoto Low Temp thermostat
**5-Star Tune (have a 40hp, 50hp, and 65hp - and now only use the 40hp) >>> Each Tune also engages the fan earlier, and this alone really helps on the long grades as well as with the slow uphill slalom roads.
Since I knew the fan would be running more, I replaced the belt tensioner, and the entire fan unit - already had a 2yr old BPD water pump.

I've been on the fence with the trans cooler - deciding if I want a larger cooler sitting in front of the radiator, or a remote fan operated unit located under the chassis somewhere (But will have one done sometime in late August). Currently the good news is when the engine fan activates it also pulls down the trans temp.
These are my Trans Cooler considerations:
ATS TRANS COOLER (WITH FAN)
https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats-auxili...3-8-inch-lines

DieselSite Transmission Cooler - 1999-2007 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L & 6.0L
https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/c...yABEgJcg_D_BwE

MISHIMOTO TRANS COOLER 37 ROW
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-power...ler-03-07.html

TRUE COOL 40,000
https://www.oregonperformancetransmi...LNG-47391.html

My temps currently going up any sort of long steep grades don't really exceed these (because the fan kicks on sooner):
OET = 225 (before I'd reach 235)
ECT = 220 (before I'd reach 230)
Trans = 210 (Before I'd reach 215-220)
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:59 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
With my bullet proofed 2006, I've seen 228 ECT especially in the stock tune configuration but your higher EOT is suspicious IMO. Mine never has more than a 11 degree spread on a normal flat ground driving. Driving in the hills during hot weather I might see higher temps (such as around 228ECT 238EOT) on steep grades (15-26% grade) in warm weather & my TFT might reach close to 210 on the those grades. Usually I see the higher transmission temps (220+) when slowly crawling 4x4 trails in hot weather. With my engine tuned (DP 60HP) (Atlas 40HP FICM) my temps are all much lower. I do have an aggressive fan operation. I had a SCT tuner and used a canned tune but it didn't work out for me and purchased the N-Dash DP with a specific tune. It drops the temps by 10 degrees over the stock tune, But even with the stock or SCT tune I never had such a spread on the EOT/ECT. [edit] I do have a coolant filter and replace the coolant about every 2 years or more if I've got more than normal mileage over the year. Unfortunately I'm not a gear head so I can't say why you are seeing such a spread. I also did the upgraded stock oil cooler @90K and it has worked well for me. YMMV but I'd also be concerned about the higher oil temps.
Thanks for the reply! I've never seen anything over a 10 or 11 degree delta in ECT and EOT until yesterday. It was a steep pass and the outside temp was high plus I was pushing 70MPH so I'm sure that did not help. I had the OD off so I did have to slow down a bit as the motor or transmission sounded pretty loud in one gear below overdrive. That brings up a question. This is a 5 speed, correct? A buddy hooked up his computer to the van and it stated 6 gears but I don't think that is true.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to get a proper tune and then take it from there.
tbonebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Several Threads here on this topic, with a lot of good info. I had similar issues that developed going uphill or going slow, these were mostly tied to the weight of the Van (2006 Sportsmobile with the 6.0 // 11,800lbs & fully bulletproofed), and have been able to 'control' my temps doing the following:
**Mishimoto aluminum radiator
**Mishimoto Low Temp thermostat
**5-Star Tune (have a 40hp, 50hp, and 65hp - and now only use the 40hp) >>> Each Tune also engages the fan earlier, and this alone really helps on the long grades as well as with the slow uphill slalom roads.
Since I knew the fan would be running more, I replaced the belt tensioner, and the entire fan unit - already had a 2yr old BPD water pump.

I've been on the fence with the trans cooler - deciding if I want a larger cooler sitting in front of the radiator, or a remote fan operated unit located under the chassis somewhere (But will have one done sometime in late August). Currently the good news is when the engine fan activates it also pulls down the trans temp.
These are my Trans Cooler considerations:
ATS TRANS COOLER (WITH FAN)
https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats-auxili...3-8-inch-lines

DieselSite Transmission Cooler - 1999-2007 Ford Powerstroke 7.3L & 6.0L
https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/c...yABEgJcg_D_BwE

MISHIMOTO TRANS COOLER 37 ROW
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-power...ler-03-07.html

TRUE COOL 40,000
https://www.oregonperformancetransmi...LNG-47391.html

My temps currently going up any sort of long steep grades don't really exceed these (because the fan kicks on sooner):
OET = 225 (before I'd reach 235)
ECT = 220 (before I'd reach 230)
Trans = 210 (Before I'd reach 215-220)
Good to know and thanks for sharing! I will get a tune on this beast and see what comes next. I like the idea of adding a second tranny cooler underneath the rlig and having it use the thermostat activated fan as opposed to blocking more fins upfront!

I will also ask or request that the fan kicks on sooner with my tune. What temps are you hearing the fan kick on or what is it set to? I assume 215 or 220 ish?
tbonebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Twoxentrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,845
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonebrown View Post
I will also ask or request that the fan kicks on sooner with my tune. What temps are you hearing the fan kick on or what is it set to? I assume 215 or 220 ish?
Not an easy question to answer, other than it now manages my temps much better than what the OEM was programed for (at least I'm more confident & relieved knowing I'm now not going to reach those concerning higher temps since I have the 'automatic' assistance of the fan).

Fan starts to kick in at different stages of temps based on factors the PCM reads. Think it takes into account ECT & Trans temps, and intake temp...If I remember correctly I believe it also takes into account RMP's, Boost, and if your A/C is on.
With my 5-Star Tune I normally hear it start when the ECT gets someplace in the neighborhood of 211-213, and EOT gets to around 215 -217...spins faster as those increase. I've only had it go supersonic twice and that's when both of those temps exceeded the 220 mark & Trans temp was around 210 (for just a short period of time).
__________________
TwoXentrix
"AWOL"
Twoxentrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
b. rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 417
What were EGTs? Checked for boost leaks recently? Positive the fan clutch is actually working properly? A turbo blanket + downpipe wrap are on my list for engine bay heat management. The climb up out of the Denver metro is long and will heat soak just about everything on a hot day.
__________________
'06 EB 350, Advanced 4x4 (soon to be MG), 6.7 Cummins + Allison, 24" bubble top. Bright yellow. The rumble bee.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:03 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9
I don't recall that temp but all within the range I was told that is okay. I have a cheat sheet from the old owner.
tbonebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9
The shop did tell me the fan was working properly so that is what I'm going off of. No, I have never tested for turbo leaks. I will look into that. Thanks!
tbonebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:50 PM   #10
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 10,102
As Twoxentrix mentioned, the 6.0L has a multi (dual?) stage fan. Maybe the second stage isn't coming on at higher temps?


Herb
__________________

__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Big Grey

allenl

DADDOZR

REDOVAL
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×