Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #31

Ok well that's good to know. Thanks! I'll check car-part first and the signal converter will be my backup then.

SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #32

Hats off to you, carringb. Car-part.com's first harness listing was the one I need. Plus they had the PCM out of the same van!

Both were on the shelf and we exchanged pictures back and forth so I could see there are two speed sensor connectors. I also called my local dealership with the VIN to confirm they came out of an '01 with a 5.4 and 4R100.

I got the pair for $225. Sold!

They shipped today and fingers crossed the problem will be solved Monday.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #33

Hey guys, thought I'd report back with an update. The parts were supposed to get here last Monday but they didn't show up until Wednesday. By then I was neck-deep in work. Had to go to a wedding last Saturday, and Sunday had to do rotors, pads and hub/bearing assemblies on my Tacoma. So long story endless, I didn't get back to the van until yesterday and today after work.

I swapped the new PCM in first. Then I swapped the harnesses. The new harness has two speed sensor connectors, one on a long leg and one on a short leg. The short leg only reaches the front sensor (on the extension housing of the trans) so I plugged it in there. The long leg is the only one that reaches the rear sensor so I plugged it in there.

Outcome? BOTH problems I had before - which used to only happen one at a time - are now happening together. Argh! The speedo surges in park and neutral; and it reads super high when I'm rolling slowly in gear and barely touch the throttle.

To rule something out, I unplugged the short leg from the front sensor and left it disconnected. Then I swapped the long leg from the rear sensor to the front. That at least got rid of the idle surge in park and neutral. But the speedo still read super high. I would love to plug the short leg into the rear sensor but it doesn't reach. Doh! Do they make cable stretchers?

But seriously, does anybody have any ideas? It's as if the long and the short legs of the harness are reversed. Not to sound like an idiot but would unbolting and swapping the sensors themselves solve the problem? I'm thinking not because the signal comes from within the trans, right?

Is there such a thing as an extension cable? If not, could I have one custom made? I mean, it's only two wires...
Old 02-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #34

I apologize if this is the wrong thread but this seems to be the most relevant for my situation. I have a 2001 E350 with the 5.4/ 4r100 combo and it is slipping bad in 2nd gear, was told it needs a rebuild by my local shop. Well I was going to just go ahead and get the rebuild done but I found this article, https://discounttransmissions.mystri...0-transmission, and now thinking maybe I should just order the replacement remanufactured transmission? What have you all heard about remanufactured 4r100's? Are they better?
WinstonFalkenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:02 PM   #35

Do your home work. If your local guy has a ton positive feedback you might consider using him, probably the cheapest route. Or send it to a know tranny builder that has a strong reputation Mark Woods or BTS for example.
If your going to put another 100k miles on your van get a quality tranny.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote