Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #21

OK. I was worried that would happen, but I figured there wasn't any help in bringing that up until it happened...

Now you're basically in the same boat as guys doing 4x4 conversion. Michael Gabriel will know this side of thing better, but I think you should be able to use a signal converter at this point, or take the tailshaft off and start grinding away some teeth on the tone ring (leave every 4th one).

Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #22

I would find a pcm and trans harness for the 4r100 instead of trying to band-aid it and using the wrong pcm and harness.
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Well, success was fleeting. I'm having the same issue the guy here was having. Anything above a crawl and the speedo shows me doing 30-60 mph.

So...plugging into the rear sensor fixed the Park/Neutral surging problem, but now indicated speed is way higher than actual.

I'm thinking this replacement 4r100 is one from a 2001+ gas van as discussed here. The tech says:

"If you choose to leave this trans in the vehicle you will need a new wire harness and PCM from a 2001 model or install a 4r100 with a VSS sensor instead of an OSS.

VSS=gear driven
OSS=magentic reading sensor"

I'm basically a harness short; and my PCM expects only one harness to be there, not the two I need.
Hah, if the 99 4r100 had a vss with the lower resolution, then that finally explains my van! I always suspected that there was another converter hiding somewhere.

I'm using a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to process the signal (as well as adopt to my 33.5" tires) and it works fine, I would not swap anything more expensive around to avoid one of those.

Edit: looks like a used PCM is roughly the same cost, I might actually go that route then.

Calculating the right setup was a bit of a pain, but it's been working un-touched for a number of years now.

I do get a slight delay in the speedometer at low speeds, but that's more of a visual oddness than any sort of real issue.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 PM   #24

Thanks for the advice everyone. I called MG today and he happened to have a Dakota in stock. He thinks it will do the trick. So thanks for the suggestion MadScience! Fingers crossed...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I called MG today and he happened to have a Dakota in stock. He thinks it will do the trick. So thanks for the suggestion MadScience! Fingers crossed...
Here are my notes on programming the Dakota pulse translator:

tires revs / mile 630
axle ratio 3.73
4r100 tooth count 18

pulses / mile 42298.2
expected 8000

factor (actual / expected) 5.287275

1/16 of pulses 2643.6375
factor to correct 1/16th 3.0261335

set to h-l using output 3 which is 1/16th and the above factor

This was one of my very few automotive experiences where trial and error didn't get me anywhere close, but once I did the math and plugged in the results, everything was right.

On your van you'll very likely have a smaller tire and possibly a different axle ratio, so take that into account.

Also, this got the speedo dead-on, which actually isn't really right. When I go mumble mph in my other vehicles where the speedo reads "factory low" I'm keeping up with traffic. In the van, with those settings, I need to keep it to a lower indicated number or I'm risking having a chat with a CHP officer and getting a ticket. The next time I touch this setting I'll dial it back by 3-4%.

My last thought is that switching the PCM might be slightly more right. I've occasionally wondered if my torque converter is locking up as much as it should, but then that might also be normal for that era. It certainly does lock up in third and OD, which is all I think they ever did without some aftermarket persuasion.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #26

Thank you MS, those could really come in handy. I'll check the axle ratio and yeah, I'm sure my tires are smaller. Stock for the moment and I have quite a few projects ahead of them in line.

Pulled the headliner yesterday because it needs to be recovered, and also because I have an A-pillar leak. Going to attack it per JWA's advice in post #5 here.

I suppose this may morph into a build thread...
Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #27

Update: I posted over on Ford Truck Enthusiasts and thankfully Mark Kovalsky, a 20-year transmission engineer with Ford, replied.

The 4R100 did change from a single gear-driven VSS speed sensor in 1999 to two magnetic-reading sensors, a TSS and an OSS, in 2000.

I found the code tag on my replacement transmission and unfortunately it's a 2001, built 12/4/2000. So while the harness on my van has only one sensor connector, this transmission expects two.

MG sent the SGI-5E, but on reflection I think what Bet on Black said in post #22...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet on black View Post
I would find a pcm and trans harness for the 4r100 instead of trying to band-aid it and using the wrong pcm and harness.
and what MadScience said in post #25...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
My last thought is that switching the PCM might be slightly more right.
...would be the better approach. So off I went searching the interwebs for one of each. Easy peasy, right?

Wrong! Yes, refurbished PCM's are readily available. However, the 2000+ harness, Ford part #YC2Z-7C078-CA, has been discontinued. If anyone has a line on one, please let me know.

Ford Parts Giant has a harness whose part # is very close, but it says it's for 5.4L CNG vehicles only. I can't see why it would be different, but then again I'm the guy who couldn't see why a 2001 4R100 would be different!

No one at FPG would confirm if the CNG harness would work; nor would they send me a pic; nor would they even tell me if I could return it if it didn't work. After 2 days of buck-passing on their side, I got frustrated and told them to pound sand.

So now I'm keeping my eye on local Pick n Pulls for a 2000+ E350 with a 5.4...
Old 09-20-2019, 12:13 PM   #28

The transmission doesn't "expect 2 sensors". It has 2 sensors, and the PCM can only use one, and the signal has to be the correct number of pulses per rotation.

The CNG harness probably has some different pinouts for things like pressure and temp sensors rather than a fuel pump.

I think the signal converter is the easier route. I certainly appreciate the desire to skip adding extra components however. I'd check out car-part.com for a donor van if you decide to do the harness swap (they probably throw in the PCM for free if you ask, since it doesn't really take any labor to pull).
Old 09-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #29

I meant it needs two connectors, but yeah, had a feeling I might be misspeaking there.

Forgot about car-part. I'll try them. Thanks for the tip.

It's not just adding extra components that has me reconsidering. It looks like I'll have to cut into the wiring, which I don't love the idea of. I also wonder what happens with the TSS? Does it just sit there unused? Wouldn't it in the normal application receive or send some sort of signal?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #30

Quote:
I also wonder what happens with the TSS? Does it just sit there unused? Wouldn't it in the normal application receive or send some sort of signal?
It'll just sit there, plugging the hole. Normally it would be sending pulses, but there's not harm abandoning it in place. Plus, since it's the same sensor as you differential speed sensor, you'll be basically carrying a spare.