Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #11

Hey Dave -
You must've been near Cedar Breaks at 10k'!
I live at 8000'm in Utah, and have a 2008 6.0l.
I have serious loss of power when I get up above 9000' as well - I believe it's just the lack of oxygen at that elevation - I've never owned an engine that did well at high altitude. Upon dropping down in elevation, all is good.

In my personal opinion, I honestly believe there is nothing wrong with your engine, other than the elevation. My 2 cents.

Phil

SMB West motorized penthouse
Underfloor Aluminum storage box from northleftcoast
Aluminess Bumper-Mount Spare Tire Rack

Passenger & Driver swivel seat bases
Kenwood DNX572BH Navigation/DVD/CD Receiver
SilverForkPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

It might be interesting to try the the Mt Evans Scenic Byway (do a Wiki). I once took my 6.0 to the top (14K). I don't remember loss of power but it sure was warming up the engine to push the van that high. I was so woozy from altitude I skedaddled back down after a few minutes.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
Site Team

There shouldn't be a dramatic loss of power at altitude with a turbo charged engine.

Herb
Old 08-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #14

Surferdave
For what it’s worth....Mine’s a Chevy 3500 EB, and I’ve never had problems going up and down the mountains in Colorado. Just a slight slow down if the climb is steep. No idea why this is true with mine, but
it has caused no problems.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #15

Just tossing in here that we live in Durango at 7700' and drive up from here and I have not had that kind of power loss on my '09 6L diesel engine. Even 4 wheeling up above 11k has never been a problem. Heat, yes but power, no.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #16

When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? I had a similar issue and it was only high altitude where it acted up. The filters were nasty and immediately fixed the issue. At high altitudes you are asking for the highest boost and fuel pressures. You are probably able to keep up with fueling demands at lower altitude. Keep your diagnostics simple. Start with the easy solutions first. Your observations about boost seem normal. At idle any engine will be pulling a vacuum. It should show boost when you hit the throttle. Good luck
Dinosaurbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaurbmw View Post
When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? I had a similar issue and it was only high altitude where it acted up. The filters were nasty and immediately fixed the issue. At high altitudes you are asking for the highest boost and fuel pressures. You are probably able to keep up with fueling demands at lower altitude. Keep your diagnostics simple. Start with the easy solutions first. Your observations about boost seem normal. At idle any engine will be pulling a vacuum. It should show boost when you hit the throttle. Good luck

Good idea. Checking your air filter wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Herb
Old 08-30-2020, 05:45 PM   #18

Garage
I have a 2002 7.3L F-250 and have driven over 10K ft. quite a few times, never had a severe loss of power or boost due to elevation that was noticeable at all.

Now, at altitude comes reduced ambient air temp as well as quite possibly putting a greater load on the engine to reach said altitude. I have in the past had a rubber fuel line that would get hard when cold and fail to make a good seal and thus suck air on the suction side of the fuel system, before the fuel pump. This manifests itself as a truck that starts but has no power at all and may stall when load is applied. It's a possibility and one that did go away when I got to warmer temps. Use of higher concentrations of biodiesel can also cause this same issue with the fuel hoses so see if any of this applies to your situation.
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #19

Just sold my 01 7.3 and had exactly same issue twice about six months ago while driving through vail, co.
After I crested the peak at 10,600’ the issue went away. Took van to Ford and they couldn’t find anything. Just prior to this trip, had fuel filter and pump replaced and have very tight maintenance regiment. Happened both times going through Vail.
Short of changing out shit that may or may not need changing, it’s difficult to say what it was.
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
There shouldn't be a dramatic loss of power at altitude with a turbo charged engine.Herb
That was my thought too, turbos are how piston driven aircraft retain good performance at high altitude. Loss of boost may point to some type of restriction in the intake tract, a leaking turbo hose,or low fuel pressure, but I don't see how any of those would get worse at altitude. Could the turbo be worn out? Have you checked the blades and bearings?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote