Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
How has your V10 experience been?

Within the next week I'll put in my order for a SMB...but I'm still
tossing and turning at night debating on the 6.0 or V10. I've driven a
diesel for the past 12yrs but for some reason I have this strange
obsession with wanting to experience a V10...I know, sounds strange! If you wouldn't mind I'd like to get your take on performance and mileage and just your overall attitude about your experience with the V10. Thanks for
your time!

Ric

Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
BC

A lot written and debated on this topic here and elsewhere, but I gotta say I was firmly in diesel camp and wanted one when we bought ours but in a bid to compromise and the wife who doesnt like 'em, we opted for V10. I've been pleasantly surprised and actually quite happy with it. Its a torque monster but at a slightly higher RPM than the 6.0's which can just idle over obstacles where you might have to put some pedal into it.

As for mileage, and maintenance costs, those are the other big things to consider. The way I have come to justify it (because I own one mostly, but also because I like it) is thus: the 6.0 mileage is better sure, but not THAT much better, maybe 3-5mpg depending on loads. And look at the cost of diesel vs gas today. Plus, 6.0 is not and insignificant option cost at the front end. You can buy a lot of gas for 6grand. And so they last 300,000 miles, great. I'd want a new one long before the engine wears out. And then there is the noise, and the heat a lot of the guys talk about that have them. I have come to really appreciate the quietness, stealth even, when running the backwoods and getting out of the neighborhood.

Would I buy a diesel for my next one? I dont know if I would. If I was going to tow heavy loads regularly, that might be the deciding factor in favor. The V10 pulls my 1500lb Boston Whaler on occassion and doesnt even feel it, and could probably handle even heavier loads well. I must admit, having been with diesel SMB's in some fairly knarly offroad situations, I do love the low end grunt, its a beautiful thing. But you know, the V10 was right there with them all the way. So I think it boils down to this: unless you are towing heavy, regularly, and doing a lot of heavy off road and rock crawling, a V10 is just fine and far lower costs overall.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #3

Garage
i too originally was looking for a diesel but when a V10 SMB came along w/ everything I was looking for option wise and super low miles on it, and, it just happened to be for sale in the next town over for the right price - well we decided last minute to give the V10 a go. we couldn't be happier. Tons of power here in the mtns of UT, mileage avgs 12.5-13 on roadtrips and I have to agree w/ BC. So what if the diesel supposedly will go 300k+ I'll want a newer one long before I get to that point. The V10 is no slouch in the durability department either, tons of V10's going 200-250k+ w/ almost zero issues other than normal routine service, try that w/ the 6.0. Check out the V10 section over on ford-trucks.com

FYI -locally here in northern UT yesterday regular gas is 2.97 vs 3.59 for diesel
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #4

I originally waited for the 6.0 to become available for the Ford van. When it did, the info I was getting was not positive, turbos, injectors, no inter-cooler will fit, lower than expected fuel mileage and I just didn't want to be the the first year owner of this motor in my camper that I plan on keeping for many years. The V10 was already a proven motor, yes it only gets about 11 miles to the gallon but as our camper we don't put that many miles a year on it. So far I have been very happy with the motor plenty of power and very quiet. I pull an enclosed motorcycle trailer with no problem. After a year I had Troyer Performance do three custom tunes for me to bring out the true power I knew the V10 had and have been very happy. Yes I do love the way the diesel sounds crawling up a hill and now that the 6.0 has had a lot of the original bugs worked out I would consider one if I was buying now, but I am not going to sell mine to go out and buy one.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #5

There is no clear cut answer to the question of V10 vs 6.0. If you add in higher maintainance costs of the diesel, it is very hard to economically justify the 6.0.

In retrospect, maybe the best choice might be a 5.4L V8, Torqueshift 5spd and 4.10 (or lower) gearing. The highway mileage should come close the diesel, with lower weight and much lower costs.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #6

I've been happy with my gas V10 (for reasons I've listed here...)

Topic: DIESEL VS. GASOLINE.

-- Geoff
Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #7

Originally I too wanted the diesel for towing but this V10 came around, and since I was buying used I couldn't be too choosy. I have to say that towing my Jeep on the flatbed trailer has been very easy. Plenty of power even on hills. Also I prefer how quiet it is when entering a campsite late at night. The gas mileage sucks but the diesel is not that much better when you factor in the extra cost of the engine, and higher price per gallon.

I have been very happy so far.

steve

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #8

Looking forward to a good nights sleep....

For those of you that took the time to reply I do appreciate the valuable info and opinions you provided...I believe I'll go with the V10. I drive a "non-ford" diesel and by the end of the month will have 370,000 on the engine. I guess it's taken all this time to realize that the maintenance and fuel costs and the cool growl of the early 5.9...um...did I just give it away?...is not the most sensible way to go nowadays...at least for me anyway.

but alas, I'm sure my peaceful nights will fade away after I put my order in...the anticipation and all until it 's delivered. I've read post after post on design and options and have gotten some great ideas from the folks on here. This forum is a great tool for learning...and hopefully some day I'll be able to give some advice of my own to pass on.

Thanks again!

Ric
Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #9

Congratulations Ric!

I am sure you will be happy with your decision. Keep us posted as you go through the process. We will see you on the road!

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #10

I'll sure do that Steve...I'm headed to SMB in Austin Wednesday morning to do the deed. I'm sure I"ll be like a kid in a candy store!

Have a good one!

Ric