Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 01:04 AM   #1

How long do you idle your 7.3 before driving off?

Just curious what's the consensus on morning start up on these beasts? I'm used with smaller diesel (2.8 and 4.2) where I start them and basically start driving right away at low speed and minimal load for a minute or two before driving normally. Obviously anything closer to the 0 degree range gets a bit more idling or more low load driving...

I've been told the 7.3 needs to idle for about 5 min before taking off. Sounds like a long time (especially for myneighbours!) but I have very limited experience with this engine. Wouldn't fuel pressure be a good indicator? Anything on the ScanGauge that can be used to figure a safe "take off" time?

I'm in Vancouver BC so weather is a factor as well.

Thanks
David

1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

30 seconds to a few minutes, depending on temperature and where I am going in the next 2 miles.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #3

Have had a chance to use the block heater overnight on the 7.3 while in RV parks with hookups. Pretty nice. Scan gauge Oil temp reads 90 deg F in the morning. Temp drops to mid 80's after starting as the coolant starts to flow. This is with 7 deg F overnight lows. When that warm, usually idle for a couple of minutes before driving easily as temp warms up.

When starting from cold l usually try to get about 5 mins of warm up. Limiting factor is 1der Girl not liking the smell of diesel exhaust. If the breeze is blowing in the right direction all is good!
Old 02-26-2016, 04:31 PM   #4

I plug her in every night on a timer. it starts at 4am and I usually leave by 6am. Glow plug light comes on for a couple of seconds. Does not smoke after being plugged in, will smoke if I dont. As soon as she starts she starts moving down the road.
She gets plugged in when the temp drops below 60, but what the heck do I know she only has 567k on her
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
I give Jiminy 5 minutes min before I move out in above 50 weather. On a trail run I really never shut it off. We did Kelly point and I just let it run to keep the dogs cool and it still only burned a 1/4 tank and other just made it out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
I plug her in every night on a timer. it starts at 4am and I usually leave by 6am. Glow plug light comes on for a couple of seconds. Does not smoke after being plugged in, will smoke if I dont. As soon as she starts she starts moving down the road.
She gets plugged in when the temp drops below 60, but what the heck do I know she only has 567k on her
Thanks but I was hoping for someone's experience with a bit more miles under their belt

Overall it gives me an idea. I might try plugging her but I never know when I'll be driving her so that complicates thing a bit. Once my Espar is finalized I could use the remote to warm things up ahead of time as well... But 2-5 min warm up, weather depending sounds like the way to go.

Cheers
David
Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

I warm it up long enough to scrape the ice off the windshield, but if I'm in an area where the noise of the engine might offend neighbors I scrape the windshield first.

I don't exceed 60 MPH until the engine temperature starts to move off the "C" mark, however. I do run synthetic motor/transmissioni/gear oil, however.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #8

Given your summers are probably similar to my winters I should be good to go