Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

Garage
How Many Cats?

Ok,

So I dont currently have a driveline in my van because the exhaust is routed in the way of where its supposed to go. It worked for the old 1979 dana 44 front axle but not my new 2013 dana 60.

I show up to the shop today to be told that I was missing a catalytic converter on the drivers side. No big deal, I dont have to do any emissions anyway because of my disabled veteran permanent plates up here in Oregon . The he goes on to say that he won't be able to re route my exhaust because of laws that require him to maintain the same amount of cats that were on there before and he wasn't about to break the law for me.

He said he could put one in the stock location but as soon as I hit a bump my driveline would smash it, so I told him no thanks.

My question is, How many catalytic converters do you guys that have 4x4 vans have and how is the exhaust routed in order to not mess with the front driveshaft?

Also, How does all you Californians get around modifying your exhaust? If I can't even get it done up here in Oregon, its gotta be hard for y'all!

Thanks!

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Yours may be a "federal" V10. They did not have two cats, but few people know about it. Best I can figure out is they were designed for 'heavy duty' use, and didn't ever get rated for state emissions, only federal. But I don't really know why or how or details.

If so, there will be a sticker under the hood, over by the battery, saying something about it.

And us Californians can't remove CATs, just gotta reroute things.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

I have 4 cats, 2 on each side. The driver's side exhaust goes across the van next to the transfer case. On my van, it actually hangs kind of low and I've been trying to figure out a better way to route it (which includes removing the second cats). I'm kind of paranoid that something is going to get hung up on the exhaust. I've seen other V10's where the exhaust crosses over much earlier and tucks up pretty nice. It just depends on where the second cats are run, I guess.

If you don't currently have second cats, do you have dummy sensors?
Old 09-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #4

Garage
Rally - I'll have to do some looking to see if I can find it a sticker but this van was bought new from a dealership and sent straight to Advanced where I'm assuming one of my cats was pulled off to reroute the exhaust.

Mikracer - I don't know, would some light or something be going off if I didn't? Not really sure why the dealership didn't see this as a big deal when they sold it to me because I don't know if I could even pass emissions right now. Im starting to slowly hate that dealership for continually blindsiding me. Maybe I'll go take a trip and ask them about why I only have 3 cats.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

I think I may be thinking of earlier vans.. I think they only had two cats, and I don't recall seeing one with four. But I could be totally wrong.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #6

Wait a second. My 98 only has one big cat. I'm almost positive. Dammit, I'm going to have to crawl under there and look and get dirty now, and I just had my weekly bath!

Thanks alot guys
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Wait a second. My 98 only has one big cat. I'm almost positive. Dammit, I'm going to have to crawl under there and look and get dirty now, and I just had my weekly bath!

Thanks alot guys
Ha ha, there are some days I literally shower 3x a day because I try to fit little projects in between other responsibilities and get too dirty while doing them. I need to finish the bathroom in my shop so it's not such an ordeal.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I think I may be thinking of earlier vans.. I think they only had two cats, and I don't recall seeing one with four. But I could be totally wrong.
I don't know, the guy at the muffler shop in town that looked like a local MC member who has done a bunch of 4x4 van exhaust modifications couldn't do mine because I didn't have 4 cats and they have to stay in the stock location... but he had done a bunch of them before me...

I don't know what happened between when I was in highschool and now but the government has really got its grip on these shops lately. I miss my Arizona hole in the wall get stuff done and don't ask questions shops.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #9

Garage
Btw do the v8s only have 2 cats?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
I don't know what happened between when I was in highschool and now but the government has really got its grip on these shops lately. I miss my Arizona hole in the wall get stuff done and don't ask questions shops.
Lol, while the private sector was laying everyone off, the EPA just kept on hiring! Maybe I could double my income running brand new, disgarded cats from TX to the West coast. That way I could tell my friends that I find new homes for unwanted cats!
VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote