Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #11

You can always get a leakdown test or compression test. Can get an inspection at a reliable mechanic.

Those miles are on every other part too - bushings, transmission, engine mounts, rear end, etc.

That mileage makes a big diff if it towed heavy during many of the miles.

Could be a gem or could be a money pit. Price ain't bad though. Pride of ownership and maintenance records speak volumes.

SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #12

Looks like a good buy for the price at those miles but I would want to see (and smell, sorry ) the interior before I bought it.

Agreed with above, it will probably need some love but the price reflects that.

I suspect it will not last more than a day or two. $5k for any running van is a deal these days.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:32 PM   #13

Yeah, it may not last long enough for me to go see it since I am leaving town. But I going to try when I get back. Those codes don't seem to indicate anything too terrible but a good inspection is warranted. I'm hoping it does have the full-float, I'm guessing it does.

I can't believe how many miles of hard use some of these vans have had!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #14

I just bought one of these based on a recommendation from a Youtuber channel on flipping cars.

Once you pair the OBD2 dongle/reader to your phone you can plug it into any car. It has a fair about of detail and is apparently a perpetual license with no additional data fees.

Pairing to my iPhone was a pita requiring some strange and still unknown sequence using the customer support. It is fickle to say the least needing some sequence on dongle on / dongle off/ dongle on process fro it to detect the iPhone for pairing.

It all works now and after this initial difficulty, the dongle is detected and has reconnected each time I plug it in. It works with a 2000 E-350 and 2002 E-250 and 2004 MB C-320.

At least one of the reviewers is from a used car dealer that might use it on 50 cars a day looking for error codes.

When I tried to clear the codes on the E-250 it hung upon so I'm not sure about that, but generally very useful and convenient for such a scanner if you don't have one yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS...roduct_details

This is mainly a software product, with a $20 dongle so given al future Software updates are free it is a pretty good deal. Almost all S/W business models evolve to subscription-based payments so this is still a good deal for the long term.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:01 PM   #15

Could grab this V10 with 126k for $10k. Not a chateau though.

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/c...483543844.html
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #16

True. Twice the money for half the miles. I have a soft spot for Chateau models and I'm thinking this van has a full float 3.73 LSD. How much to install a new V10, I wonder?
Old 05-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardifftodd View Post
True. Twice the money for half the miles. I have a soft spot for Chateau models and I'm thinking this van has a full float 3.73 LSD. How much to install a new V10, I wonder?
When I did mine a few years ago, the complete reman from Ford (with 3 yr unlimited mile warranty) was about $3k. Labor I think books at 12 hours for R&R but chances are they will be a little other labor you’ll want to do while it’s out.

That said…. Ford would just pull a new block off the line for their remans whenever core inventory was short. They had a no-fault core policy, so they’d take it back even if it was completely blown apart. With the module motor line retiring, I don’t know that they are continuing the v10 factory reman program.
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:56 PM   #18

I replaced a 302 and it was $3200 with a 3yr/unlimited mile warranty. I would think the v10 would be more, but not a lot more. Maybe $5k total? And you can replace accessories at that time for just the price of the part, no labor.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardifftodd View Post
Almost twice the KBB top blue book $5400.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote