Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #21

9 MPG around town sounds reasonable to me. I never use our 2010 V-10 E350 4x4 just around town. On the road it usually gets about 9 MPG, and once hit 10.0 MPG under perfect conditions. WHoo hoo! But under continuous deep mud over endless rocks on a 2-track road under 5 miles per hour it is more like 3 to 4 MPG. Weighing in at over 11,000 pounds fully loaded while pushing BFG AT 315/70 tires is hard work.

The key is to not worry about miles per gallon, but instead miles per day. Drive to cool remote places, then stay put. Buy a cheap sedan for around town driving.

lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #22

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, but I'm super happy to be in a point in my life where I don't worry about the mileage my van gets. The way I look at it, a tank of gas a day is less expensive than most motel rooms, and the places I go don't normally have motels anyway. As for ways to improve the mileage, drive like there is an egg under your foot, never exceed 55 mph, avoid stop and go traffic, remove all excess weight, keep your tires properly inflated, avoid jack rabbit starts, and so on................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #23

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, but I'm super happy to be in a point in my life where I don't worry about the mileage my van gets. The way I look at it, a tank of gas a day is less expensive than most motel rooms, and the places I go don't normally have motels anyway. As for ways to improve the mileage, drive like there is an egg under your foot, never exceed 55 mph, avoid stop and go traffic, remove all excess weight, keep your tires properly inflated, avoid jack rabbit starts, and so on................
Agreed, I see lots of van lifers get caught up on the gas mileage race, spending six figures on a diesel Sprinter, so they can get 5mpg better gas mileage. I can buy a lot of gas for the $70K less I spent on my SMB. I think many people don't do the actual cost benefit analysis of what they are spending their money on to get better mileage.

Also seem like that is a lot of the driving force behind people wanting the 7.3. From what I have seen, that motor is no more reliable than a properly maintained V10. Yes, it gets better gas mileage, but is it worth the premium you pay for it? I think the answer most times is no.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:15 PM   #24

I had a 6.0 SMB prior to our current EB V10. Reliability and problems aside, the diesel cost more up front and to maintain despite getting 4-5MPG better on the highway. I'm happy with the V10 and it's a ton quieter @ idle and on the highway. I do plan on getting a 5 Star tune but mostly for performance and dealing with the gear hunting on slight inclines. Any better mileage will be a bonus.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #25

Good to know. I have a 2010 E350 with Quigley 4x4 conversion, Fiberine high top, V10, 265/70's and get about 10 mpg on the road doing 70 mph. I thought my mileage was low but now I'm thinking it is average for what I have. I guess I'll stop worrying about mileage and just enjoy the trips.......
cthiebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:05 PM   #26

5 Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogs View Post
I had a 6.0 SMB prior to our current EB V10. Reliability and problems aside, the diesel cost more up front and to maintain despite getting 4-5MPG better on the highway. I'm happy with the V10 and it's a ton quieter @ idle and on the highway. I do plan on getting a 5 Star tune but mostly for performance and dealing with the gear hunting on slight inclines. Any better mileage will be a bonus.
Something to consider regarding the 5 Star tune. I have had mine for over ten years, and it has never been an issue until this year. I have a 2001 E350 6.8L V10. I took it to get smogged this year, and the local place that has done my smogs for years told me they couldn't do the smog check, and I needed to take it to a "referee" smog station. Turns out the referees are the instructors that teach people how to do smog checks.

Obviously, I wasn't too pleased about this, but having no choice, I booked my appt. at the referee station, which happens to be at Golden West College which was not far from my office.

I ended up passing, but not without the testing station calling the state to get approval to pass me. The issue was with the 5 Start tune. Apparently the aftermarket tune was the reason why I couldn't get the local smog station to smog the vehicle. Their computers are getting more sophisticated, and can sense that the stock tune is not on the vehicle, and I was flagged to go to the referee. The referee told me that the State is not sure which of these vehicles are required to "self monitor" themselves, and which are not, and that is why they let me slide, as they are still figuring this out. The referee told me I may run into this again in two years when I have to smog it again.

Just some food for thought. I love the 5 Star tune, and wouldn't change anything, but information about potential challenges down the road is always good I figure.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
V10? What size tires are you running? Is your Speedometer accurate with the larger tires?
What's the steps to adjust the speed-o? I know mine is way off. Running 37" on my 4x4.
THaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #28

The easy stuff: make sure spark plugs are good and air filter is clean. Sounds like you already are on top of tire pressure. Fresh driveline fluids + fuel filter aren't a bad idea.

The harder stuff: skinny tires with a hard durometer rubber and a smooth tread close to stock sizing will help (assuming you have stock gearing). Otherwise for in town driving...hyper mile as best you can. Accelerate on down hills, decelerate on uphills, try to plan your moves a far ahead as possible and brake as little as possible. Group your trips so you're not warming it up as many times. Even if it's slower, find a route with less stop signs or lights.

Or, a cheap-o fwd econobox if you drive enough to justify it.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:12 PM   #29

My 2013 V10 4x4 SMB average around 9 mpg so your mileage sounds reasonable if you also have the V10. If you want higher mpg then going slower is all that has worked for me. My best mileage was when driving around Yellowstone since the speed limit there is 45 mpg. I got between 13 and 14 mpg on that tank.

I do have a 5 Star tune on mine but it hasn’t helped my mileage. The van drives better though.
rltilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:11 PM   #30

I'm a bit confused, whats the advantage of the 5-star tune. Why do some have it and some don't?
THaley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg e350 4x4