Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #1

Hydra Chip for 7.3

https://kcturbos.com/products/php-hy...bae51a20&_ss=r

Just picked up the van after having some work done and the guys at Powerstroke Solutions in Signal Hill recommended I get the Hydra Chip to increase performance from my 2002 7.3.

Doing some online research, I see you can program it with up to 17 codes; but I noticed that "This hydra is used for a stock truck without custom modifications. Works well with all intakes, exhaust systems, and stock transmissions. If you have extensive modifications you will need a custom programmed Hydra chip."
I'm assuming the Quigley 4wd counts as extensive modifications.

Is anyone using this chip? Did you have to get custom programming for it, or just pick through the existing programs?

Old 03-11-2021, 11:39 AM   #2

Extensive is injectors or a larger turbo

4wd is not extensive
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Extensive is injectors or a larger turbo

4wd is not extensive
Ah, good to know...
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #4

Been running the Hydra for a bit over a year now. There are various tunes you can load onto the chip but those are determined by your ECM code (check drivers door forward jamb near hinges, if nog there then you will likely need to pull the ECM to get the code).

Correct, extensive in this case would be engine modifications. Does not sound like this what you have, so you would fall under the stock category.

Chip has done well, I like it. EGT is very controllable - definitely add an EGT gauge.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
^^^yup, I’ll chime in here on this one too and say I’ve been happy so far with the Hydra. Both 1der and I and many others here had numerous issues with the DP tuner and swapped out for the Hydra, night and day difference.
I would recommend an EGT gauge as well as a scanguage to keep an eye on trans and oil temps. I added a 40 tow, 60 daily and a 1200 high idle. Had an 80 on the DP, didn’t go with that this go around, felt it was a bit too jumpy, the 60 wakes it up and I feel safe knowing I’m not pushing the boundaries. A 4” exhaust helps keep the engine a bit cooler, if you’re towing or pull passes, I’d recommend adding a mag Hytech trans pan and a tru-cool trans cooler too.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #6

All good info, thank you!
Old 03-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #7

OK guys you piqued my interest.
1) DosMars I'm in Burbank and have been searching for a diesel shop as my local guy said "adios amigos" I'm out of SoCal and moved his shop north. What do they do? and what did they do for you?...Would you recommend them.
2) ider and REF I have a 2003 7.3 4X4 SMB (West) totally stock with 285,000 miles. I do not tow anything and it's loaded with your basic camping gear. Total weight 9,400lbs. It runs great or at least what I think is "great" and I avg. 15 mpg.
What would be the advantage of a "Hydra Chip"?. I do not have any add on gauges as I mentioned it's totally stock motor and stock SMB no modifications.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #8

Garage
I have also been happy with my Hydra Chip. After the chip I rebuilt the turbo with a wicked wheel, added a Riffraf fuel system, exhaust back pressure valve delete, and new up pipes. Still running stock exhaust, for now.

I would like to change the exhaust out for more flow, but I do not want any drone in the van. Does anyone have any ideas for a quite exhaust option?

2001 7.3l

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:45 PM   #9

Hydra Tuner

Hi everyone. Im running my 7.3 Diesel powerstroke on a 8 inch lift. 37.5 tires. I thinking of installing a hydra tuner. My question is; is my tune a stock tune? Or does it require a custom tune because of the lift? Looking for some insight. P.S im planning to tow some toys so all the information you can send my way, the better!! Also I heard I.might need a transcooler. 🤔
Ricardo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:47 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I went with a 4” exhaust, essentially I went to my local muffler shop and they hooked it up, I think it’s either a magnaflow or similar, get the largest freer flowing muffler that’ll fit to ensure it won’t drone.
Stock tunes will work with larger tires, it’s really when you start getting into a larger turbo or bigger injectors that you’d need to make any changes to the tunes.
For towing, a larger trans cooler is nice to have, I also installed the larger capacity mag-Hytec trans pan that helps keep temps down. I went with the 40hp tow tune for moderate loads, around 6000lbs, wakes it up without pushing the temps. Get an EGT gauge and a scanguage to monitor things.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote