Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

Re: Hydroboost brake upgrade question...

I just used the F550 front axle (Dana 60 HD) to get the Thicker tubes and 35 spline axles. Down fall is to do a "High Steer" on the F550 Knuckle it has to be welded on where the F350 bolts on. I aslo would do the Dynatrack Hybrid Ball Joint/King Pins any time I had it apart. I found them after I had put mine together.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #12

Re: Hydroboost brake upgrade question...

Thanks everyone... I am looking into this move still and have found great info both here and elsewhere. At the moment, I am expecting to add the hydroboost and will keep you all in the loop as this develops. I have a business trip next week and leaving the vehicle behind to see how far they can get with the modification of the current vacuum system to hydro...
I don't have the money for a full rotor/caliper swap and hoping that adding the hydroboost will add what I need for those emergency moments. I imagine I will have to be more careful about over heating the current e350 rotors, but would love to know that I can stop this thing when I am in a pinch to do it fast, something that isn't possible at the moment.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:07 PM   #13

Hello,

I'm looking at doing the hydroboost upgrade from the vacuum boost on my 2005 SMB 6.0L as well.

I was wondering if you just plug the vacuum line to the deleted vac-boost system and leave the other vacuum lines intact. I understand the vacuum still controls some vent solenoids any maybe something else? This means I still need the mechanical vac pump in the system. But, I won't be subject to a catastrophic brake failure w/ vac pump failure.

I've got the original Dynatrack 4wd front axle and origin brake calipers. Are there larger calipers that are a direct replacement that I should be looking at?

Any other recommendations before I pull the trigger?

Thanks
dpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:01 PM   #14

I can only add that my original brake system from SMB build - E350 Ex Body V10 (10,800 lbs) - had me hoping for a brick wall to hit before a vehicle in front of me - coming out of the mountains of Idaho and the Tetons where all the stop signs are at the bottom of mountains ! - My SSB Big Brake upgrade (rotors/pads/calipers) has now saved me multiple times !

No hydroboost (yet) - van has 28,000 on it - 2002 vintage -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpekin View Post
I was wondering if you just plug the vacuum line to the deleted vac-boost system and leave the other vacuum lines intact. I understand the vacuum still controls some vent solenoids any maybe something else? This means I still need the mechanical vac pump in the system. But, I won't be subject to a catastrophic brake failure w/ vac pump failure.

I've got the original Dynatrack 4wd front axle and origin brake calipers. Are there larger calipers that are a direct replacement that I should be looking at?
In researching to convert from vacuum boost to Hydroboost I had read (on another forum) someone installed the electric super duty pump (which has a positive and negative wire) and they spliced into a 12v wire that has power when the ignition key is "on" (just ground the second wire)...and it worked fine.

As far as upgrading brakes, many thread on this but you may give Chris at U-Joint Offroad a call to see if your axle accepts his SSC brake upgrade (as Russ - Doublevan2 - mentioned previously). I really wanted that upgrade, but it will not work on my axle, so went another route.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:53 AM   #16

Just a follow up - I took Chris's advice and went that SSBC upgrade - didn't have to change anything on the axles, etc. The only issue I had was that the lug holes had to be "rounded" out a bit as the rotors would not just "go on or fit" they had to be redrilled a bit and all was good. That fit my budget - replacing axles, knuckles, etc., was NOT in my budget for my 2002 E350 V10 ExtBody van. Take Felix's advice and contact Chris.
Old 04-02-2024, 12:27 PM   #17

I just pulled the trigger on vacuum boost to hydroboost upgrade on my 2005 SMB w/ 6.0L.

It certainly improved my stopping performance. I'm still running the stock (I think) calipers and don't know what pads were last installed. I live on a very steep hill and used to have to really stand on the brakes to stop at the bottom of the hill. Now it's just a moderate pedal pressure to stop.

I had Pedro at American Brake and Steering (ABS) in orange CA do the job. They are very proficient at brake systems and do many custom jobs on hot rods, etc. It cost me less than $2K and the peace of mind of not having a catastrophic vacuum pump failure is worth every cent.

Regards,

Dave
dpekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:00 PM   #18

carringb -- the link to "aquasunmotorsports". seems to be dead ??