Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 11:26 PM   #1

Idler pulley and tensioner torque specs

Searched all over for the torque specs for the idler pulley. I think I found the tensioner bolts at 32 ft lbs but can't find anything on the idler pulley. Anyone have a source?
2001 e350 with 6.8 v10 with AC

CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:12 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Typically I'm a stickler for respecting bolt torque values but in the instance of the idler pulley the same 32 ft/lbs should work great. I'm sure buried deep in the workshop manual that value is listed but I don't have it right at hand.

I would suggest using a bit of anti-seize on the bolt threads for both the tensioner and idler---should it ever be necessary to replace them again they'll remove easily.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #3

Reporting back on the serpentine belt change out. Also changed out the belt tensioner and idler pulley. Everything went pretty well and the job was fairly easy. Hard part is accessing the bolts with the limited space between the belt and fan/fan shroud. The bolts for both the tensioner and pulley came off easy and and the bolt torque of 32 ft lbs seemed too high. I read some places that the torque spec was 32 and some specified 18 so I went in the middle at 25 ft lbs. Keeping the belt, tensioner and pulley in the van for spare parts.
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Good news on the new belt and related parts--its not a horrendously terrible job. Access behind the fan blades is a bit limited so its a good thing this needs done infrequently. Also a great idea carrying at least and extra belt should the existing one break.

There was a time I was removing and reinstalling the belt chasing another problem so finally broke down and bought this tool set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002WSFTO...dDbGljaz10cnVl Its remarkably useful, not overly priced and you'll thank yourself every time its used.

It's also small enough it can be stowed in minimal space giving it another advantage IMHO anyway. I don't leave home without it.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #5

The torque spec for the 7.3 diesel is 40lbs, I am sure that that can not be far off!
Vanimal is online now   Reply With Quote