Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #1

Garage
Importance of matching OEM Center Bore on new wheels?

Hi guys, I'll try to keep this as short as I can.

I've just recently picked up a set of Cragar "Soft 8" Steel wheels in a 16x8 size, with the correct 8x6.5 bolt pattern to fit on my '95 Ford E250-based Sportsmobile. (RB30 layout, 2WD, 5.8L). I'm planning on mounting a slightly-up-sized (but still factory OEM optional size for E250) set of 245/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's on them.

Question:
Is it absolutely critical for an aftermarket set of steel wheels to have the same, identical center-bore opening as the OEM (factory original) wheels had on them? (Such that the wheel will be truly, properly hub-centric)?

I'm sure these aftermarket wheels are made to fit Ford, GM, and Dodge considerations, which I know all have different center bores.....but I thought Ford had the largest bore (which I believe is 4.88" for 1995), and yet these wheels come with an even-larger 5.150" center bore. This over-sized center-bore opening would make these wheels be lug-centric when I mount them.

For the weight of these rigs, should I be concerned about that? I've read elsewhere several opinions that for steel wheels, it's not a problem. (And that for almost all aftermarket wheels, which are made to fit a lot of different considerations, they almost always err on the side of making the center bore extra-large.)

Hub-centric? Lug-centric? Does it matter for these rigs/wheels?

Again, thanks you guys!!!
Cheers -

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #2

Re: Importance of matching OEM Center Bore on new wheels?

I wanna know too.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #3

The E-series does not require hub-centric wheels. However lug-centric wheels can have some vibration issues that are less likely in hub-centric wheels, since they don't seem to get the tolerance attention that the hub-centric wheels get.

Also, as the lug-seats wear out (which does happen with alloys) the vibration issues increase.

My wheels are lug-centric, but the lug seats are not worn out enough they will be replaced at my next tire change. I would like to hub-centric wheels, but they are much harder to find, other than OEM wheels.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #4

Garage

Carringb - thanks for the info!

Going ahead with the wheels I've got.

On another issue --- I picked these up in a zero-offset version, which I believed would keep the steering feel (especially bump steer) closest to the factory original wheel/tire combo, even though the rim is one inch wider. (8" vs. the factory 7") Am I correct?

*What I could never seem to confirm was that the OEM steel 16x7" rims were indeed zero-offset wheels, though they did appear that way. (I know, I could have pulled a wheel and measured exactly .....) honestly though, I thought I'd come across the spec somewhere that the factory wheels (at least in 1995) were zero offset.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #5

Garage

Okay, may have answered my own question here.

From this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4602&view=next
It sounds like the factory wheel offset (for the steel 16x7 8-lug wheels) was +6mm.

So a zero-offset wheel like I've picked up will be pretty damn close.
I think the commonly-used ATX Teflon wheels are zero-offset wheels.