Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
Site Team

Internal engine cleaner

I've been trying to buy a cleaning product to run through my Bronco's engine, to clear out some of the old oil sludge and varnish that's accumulated (1969 engine that was rebuilt probably 15 years ago). I've been good with oil and filter changes, but it has had a lot of very slow, hot, dusty rides while I'm four wheeling, so I don't doubt I've had an accumulation of crud. I've did a fair amount of research and came across something that sounds just like what I'm looking for, and it numerous recommendations from people who have used it.

http://www.kanolabs.com/engCle.html#anchor63574

I order some to try, and low and behold, the order was rejected because I live in Kalifornia. All other states, this stuff is legal, here they must think it causes earthquakes or something, but they do allow it in CA for manufacturing. Sure, I bet it's somewhat nasty (lots of esters), but if it cleans out the crap from my engine and it runs better, isn't that a good thing? The esters do evaporate, but the crap it dissolves in my engine is trapped by the oil filter, which goes to my local HAZMAT collection.

Part of the terms and conditions for buying the product through the manufacturer (only source of this stuff):
"In California, this product cannot be sold to an individual consumer. By placing this order, Purchaser certifies and warrants that all products purchased through this website will be used for industrial purposes in the manufacturing process only and not for retail sale, personal or consumer use."

Herb

Old 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #2

Re: Internal engine cleaner

Herb,
Check out a product called Auto-Rx. I haven't used it, but a bunch of guys on the old pre-powerstroke diesel forum I frequent have had good luck with it.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Herb,
Check out a product called Auto-Rx. I haven't used it, but a bunch of guys on the old pre-powerstroke diesel forum I frequent have had good luck with it.
That's one of the ones that initially got me looking at these kind of products. There seems to be a major love/hate relationship with that one (as there probably are with most things).

Herb
Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #4

Herb,

If you have been good with oil and filter changes, slow dusty driving won't make sludge. Best ways to make sludge are:

- Non-Detergent oil
- Failing to change oil regularly

Slow, dusty use is much harder on air filters than oil.

Do you see sludge in a valve cover? Or are you just thinking it may be sludged up?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #5

Herb with Mike

Unless you have some reason or evidence to think you have a problem you probably dont. Even low speed on dusty trails is better than stop and go on hot pavement and most engines last for years with average or less service work. How does the oil look when you change it? You could always send a sample in for analysis, and then you would know how it really is without guessing.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I used the GM non-Ca approved top end engine cleaner thinking I had a problem when some of the lifters would clack. It was never a single lifter and ran great on flat ground. So I used Sea Foam at first then the GM engine cleaner which was supposed to be really good stuff. Hey it's not legal in Ca so it had to be good. Nothing worked. I had used synthetic oil after the motor was broke in and always replace it every 3K miles. Finally got fed up with it and pulled the pan. There was a sludge in the bottom of the pan that had to be steamed out. I didn't think it looked like typical sludge and don't know if it was aproduct of the top end cleaner or what. The lousy oil pump screen was damaged and looked like the pump had got hot somehow...that was the cause of the lifters sticking. The wierd sludge didn't cause the problem but didn't help I'm sure. Ain't no mechanic but if you do run that stuff through the engine, you might want to take off the oil pan and look what came down.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote