Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #21

Is a 5.4 enough?

What do you think the sweet spot is for the 5.4? Seems to me like something above 2100 and below 2500. Is that your experience? I know it really comes alive at 3500 but you can't drive there all day long with any economy.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 AM   #22

Is a 5.4 enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Silver, In my application it does feel like I added two cylinders. My unit with the slightly taller tires and the stock program in the tranny wasn't turning enough revs. I always felt like I was fighting with the tranny, trying to keep it in fourth and out of overdrive. The truck now feels awesome at 55mph to 65mph. It's running right in the torque sweet spot. For me the tune is one of the best things I've done to the truck. I'll have fuel data in a week or two.

Jim
Very intrigued. When towing, I and that sweet spot play musical chairs. Very frustrating. What's a ball park price to get a tuner installed? Thus far, any downside or tradeoffs?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #23

Is a 5.4 enough?

I spoke with 5 Star Tuning. Apparently you just plug it in to that diagnostic plug under the dash by the steering column and it takes 5-10 minutes to re flash. It's all DIY. $415 shipped with 3 different tunes.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #24

Re: Is a 5.4 enough?

MPG numbers

I've driven maybe 1000 miles so far (i could figure it out exactly) and using the tuner on tow haul mode with NO 5th gear, 4:10 rear end, I'm down 1/2 to 1 MPG. Using tow haul on all up grades and clicking out on all light down grades (in and out of overdrive, really) I'm getting about 1/2 to 1 mile better. All that said the tuner is fantastic, on secondary rolling roads, the tuner makes the unit very driveable with NO transmission hunting. The shifting is smooth and certain with the torque converter staying locked up. The unit is more fun to drive.

Next, maybe Deaver springs.

Jim

Quigley Converted 21' E 350 Motorhome
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #25

Last notes on the humble 5.4. As I write this my wife is driving across Kanas after two weeks in Colorado. I need to be honest I was a bit nervous on the way out. Would the 5.4 be enough to haul my 12,000 lb Quigley RV up the 11,000 foot passes. Wow what a trip, the truck did fantastic. Hauled up in second gear at 40 - 45 without a problem. On the down side the engine held the truck back in second gear at 35mph never touching the brakes. A ton of dirt roads, BLM camping, mountain passes. The tranny did heat up a bit on one long pass, I saw 220 for a few minutes but that was a bad as it got. The engine is a little beast! Dependable, cheap, burns fuel like a big block! Anyway, I just wanted to finish this thread. As I see it the V8, V10 or 6.0 PSD are all great motors with advantages and disadvantages to each. That said all three motors will take you anywhere you want to go.
capnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjim
Last notes on the humble 5.4. As I write this my wife is driving across Kanas after two weeks in Colorado. I need to be honest I was a bit nervous on the way out. Would the 5.4 be enough to haul my 12,000 lb Quigley RV up the 11,000 foot passes. Wow what a trip, the truck did fantastic. Hauled up in second gear at 40 - 45 without a problem. On the down side the engine held the truck back in second gear at 35mph never touching the brakes. A ton of dirt roads, BLM camping, mountain passes. The tranny did heat up a bit on one long pass, I saw 220 for a few minutes but that was a bad as it got. The engine is a little beast! Dependable, cheap, burns fuel like a big block! Anyway, I just wanted to finish this thread. As I see it the V8, V10 or 6.0 PSD are all great motors with advantages and disadvantages to each. That said all three motors will take you anywhere you want to go.
Thanks for the update CapnJim. I just found this thread. Love your rig BTW, it shows me that I shouldn't be worried about the 5.4 in my extended body 2WD. You've got LOTS more weight than me and it sounds like it's doing fine.

For anyone worried about the 5.4, or any motor in the mountains, buy a ScanguageII !!!!! It's the perfect companion to give you live coolant temp, tranny temp, digital tachometer, etc. I can't say enough about what this thing does for the price.
My 6K trip out west (from TN) this summer showed me a max tranny temp of almost 230 coming out of the west side of Death Valley, and creeping at about 25-30 MPH. That was a scary day, I just didn't feel good about it, but I posted a thread and got some confirmation that I didn't kill my tranny and others have seen those numbers a time or two. Anyway, the 5.4 does fine if you rev it as silver stated above. I managed to hold 45 MPH all the way up Vail pass headed east. I've heard it's steeper headed west though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
For anyone worried about the 5.4, or any motor in the mountains, buy a ScanguageII !!!!! It's the perfect companion to give you live coolant temp, tranny temp, digital tachometer, etc. I can't say enough about what this thing does for the price.
Agreed! I got a Scangauge II for my SMB (with 5.4, btw) before I hit the mountains on my first big trip with it this early summer. What a relief to know (and not wonder) where the various temps and things were. "Priceless" to me -- and at a reasonable price, too (and simple to install and use)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote