Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzila View Post
MadScience
When the ABS light is on.. The Abs HCPump is OFF.. Many people miss that.. IF you have an ABS light on then your ABS system is not on and it will not Pump the system when applied. They just act like a system with no ABS. The ABS light can come on for many reasons but the Pump is the last thing to Fail
Correct, the ABS or brake light staying on indicates a fault, it can be as simple as a bad sensor. However, they come on when you start the van as a part of the self-test. If they don't come on at that point you likely have a burnt out (or missing!) bulb and have no way of knowing if the light stays on.

The caliper pins are a well documented issue, with a couple of revisions of pins. I ended up doing both of my fronts after the dragged two years apart, no issues since then with the new pins.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 PM   #22

Ditto Caliper issue in the past with me!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
5,000 miles into my Alaska trip without an issue, when suddenly, the van pulls hard to the right when on the brakes. Everything was normal when all at once it started happening. A quick visual inspection didn't turn up anything. All calipers, rotors, pads and hoses were new a couple months ago. Steering box is less than a year old. Springs and u-bolts are nearly new. Ball joints are an unknown age, and showed some slop when last checked several months ago. Tie rod ends are old but were tight when last checked. So, is it a brake problem, or a suspension issue? Tomorrow, I'll jack up the front end and do a better inspection but I'm leaning towards a suspension issue since the brakes are new. No doubt, a caliper could have seized and I can check that by doing a few hard stops and then measuring the rotor temps with my infrared, but on the last really rough road I heard something making a new noise, sort of like a soup can rolling around in a cabinet, which is what I hope it is. It could be a broken leaf spring, a loose u-bolt, a busted ball joint, or a bad tire. Any other ideas? It could be worse though, I'm held up at the Copper River, a really scenic place and I have lots of beer and food.
Arctic Traveler. My turn to possibly help you. My Ford Traverse did the same thing recently. Turned out to be the gears in the differential had backed off. Also noted around 73 MPH a wheel hop. Hope this finds you and your GTRV well. Doug
Hiking Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #24

To add: I had a low level tick tick tick noise coming from the rear for about 5k to 10k miles. I could not find it, it finally stopped. Later that day the ABS light came on and comes on intermittently now. So I guess it must be the sensor in the rear diff. I will be regearing soon to 4.30's so I will address it then!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #25

Not sure if this is valuable but I posted a few months ago regarding my E250 Sportsmobile pulling to the right. It has done this off and on for while, maybe even years. It would come and go. I had a shop replace all of the front calipers rotors and pads, but no love. A few years later, after moving to AZ I had a bit more time to mess with it and it was a steady pull so I replaced the front brake lines, rotors, calipers, pads, wheel bearings, rear calipers and pads and checked the suspension components out. The, I replaced the master cylinder and all of the flexible rear brake lines. Still no love. Then I had a shop replace the ABS controller. I did not have any indication of that being the problem but I didn't know where to go and neither did two other shops. That didn't fix it. One of my friends stated to pull the fuse on the ABS and see if it would have an effect. I did that and it did not pull! I drove like this for a couple of outings (transporting dirt bikes) then I put the fuse back in. It still doesn't pull. So, what happened here? The only thing that I can think of is that there was air in the ABS controller and maybe by removing the fuse helped to remove the air from it? I don't know. Hopefully someone finds this experience helpful.
dirtbikenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
... I'm now wondering if the anti lock controller could be the problem?
Hi Jeff. I wouldn't be surprise of that as I had that issue in VivaLaVida. I would jJust unplug all of them and test it again. In VivaLaVida, it made the issue desappear.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:04 PM   #27

So, after the problem disappearing for a couple of weeks, it suddenly came back but not nearly as severe. I pulled over, turned off the key, re-started it and it no longer was pulling right, it instead switched to pulling left, but only slightly. I'm sure there is some air in the ABS controller, since the last time I changed the brake lines I was unable to find someone to cycle the controller to purge the last of the air. I've also had an ABS light on for quite some time due to a broken sensor wire on the left front wheel. I never worried about it though because I hate ABS, and prefer total control of the brakes with my right foot. So, I guess it's likely air in the controller could be the issue?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #28

Quote:
So, after the problem disappearing for a couple of weeks, it suddenly came back but not nearly as severe. I pulled over, turned off the key, re-started it and it no longer was pulling right, it instead switched to pulling left, but only slightly. I'm sure there is some air in the ABS controller, since the last time I changed the brake lines I was unable to find someone to cycle the controller to purge the last of the air. I've also had an ABS light on for quite some time due to a broken sensor wire on the left front wheel. I never worried about it though because I hate ABS, and prefer total control of the brakes with my right foot. So, I guess it's likely air in the controller could be the issue?
If so, re-bleeding should help.

I ended up picking up a knock off vcm to cycle my pump, but honestly it doesn't run it any more than just hitting the brakes on a sufficiently slippery surface will. So, unlike one of my other cars that has all sorts of traction and stability controls, this seems like a reasonable way to treat these vans.

I don't think it will cycle until you fix that sensor, though if it's an intermittent cable issue, then that might explain everything you're observing.

I'd fix the cable, cycle the system and re-bleed, possibly twice. Then you can pull the fuse if you really want to disable ABS. -- I do get that on loose rocks you can be better off without it. I like having it for snow and those first post drought rains in the bay area.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote