Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

Jasper vs Ford rebuilt V10 6.8L

Hey gang,

I've been dealing with some engine sh!t for the last couple months and as the process drags on, I'm preparing for a game plan on a new engine.

This is the is related thread here

Wanted a separate thread just on this topic.

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on going with a Jasper remanned engine versus a ford remanned engine? I've been calling around to a few local mechanic shops and of the several I've spoken with I've mostly been told to "f*ck off and that I can't speak with a mechanic unless my vehicle is in there shop and by the way the next available appointment is next month"

But there was one shop where I actually was able to speak with someone who seemed to have some engine experience, after describing my problems he said "yeah you probably need a new engine" we talked about the the estimates for going through his shop with a Ford engine $8 - $9k and 2 weeks. He then said that there's another shop that does Jasper engines for $5 to $6k and that Jasper engines have a different rebuild process that makes them better than the ford remanned engines. He wouldn't elaborate more on that and I don't know if he was just trying to get me to piss off or what but looking at Jaspers website on the V10's it does mention something similar

FTE and other forums seem to like Jasper engines as well:

IRV2 - motorhome

FTE

FTE 2

But then there was this guy with a Quigley who apparently got screwed and had to go through 4 engine installs here on SMB forum

One other question - my van is a 2008, I think I read somewhere that the engines built from 2009-2016 were updated or something. Is that true, and if so should I try to get a 2009 or later engine in this thing if I have to get a new engine?

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #2

The 4x engine replacement saga was mostly a shop error IMO.

The E-series never got the 3-valve motors, so there's effectively no changes from 2000-2019, except in 2005 when it moved to drive-by-wire. The 2009 changes for the E-series was all interior updates.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Hey Mr Anderson----you and I were casually scheduled to converse today (07/26/2020) at some point but as you're possibly steering toward the Jasper produce we'll hold off on that until you've made a choice. I have nothing to share about their products.

If you choose Ford I can enlighten you but we'll cross that bridge if we get that far.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

Ford tends to outsource alot of their remanufacturing. Meaning even though the box says ford remanufactured, ford didnt actually remanufacture the item. I purchased a reman steering box last summer from ford because new ones are no longer available for my 2004. I opened the ford box and there was a sticker on the steering box that said "rebuilt for ford motor company by (insert name here)".

I cant recall the name of the company but it was not remanufatured by ford and the steering box has already failed. The rebuilt box cost me over $500. Needless to say i wont be buying reman parts from Ford in the future. Ford is in the business of building and selling new cars not rebuilding parts. I have no idea if ford remanufactures their own engines or not.

With that said, the other issue will be warranty related. Ford has dealerships all over the place if you have issues after the new engine is installed. Jasper on the other hand is going to present problems if you have any issues pop up after its installed and youre 400 miles from home. Maybe you wont have any issues at all, just something to ponder.

On the flip side, if you do have issues, Ford is never going to allow you back in the shop to validate what they might tell you is the cause for any failure on your new engine and could easily blame it on your negligence to avoid honoring the warranty. Smaller independent shops are more likely to allow you to verify what they are telling you.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #5

I would find a shop that offers a strong warranty that can be used at any ford dealer regardless of who actually remanufactures the engine.

For example, I had a new 302 installed in a van here in SoCal after my motor threw a rod. The shop that did it put in a motor with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty redeemable at any ford dealer or certified mechanic. I went with them because their price was good ($3200 installed) and the warranty. I don’t know who did the engine, but it doesn’t matter to me as I can get it fixed for free anywhere I choose.

If you’re buying the motor and installing yourself, I would go with the best warranty. Helps resale value too if you’re ever selling.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
The shop that did it put in a motor with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty redeemable at any ford dealer or certified mechanic.
That's the standard Ford warranty. The one hangup issue can be lacking proof that the intake was properly cleaned before re-installing, so when my shop did mine, I made sure they listed ultrasonic cleaning as a standalone line item on the invoice.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
JWA

I went the Ford reman'd engine route, had an issue that was 100% warranty covered but had a few minor problems finding someone I could trust to deal with diagnosis and repair or replacement. I could write pages on what potential issues one MIGHT face but they're far from insurmountable, more hassles than you'd hope for though. Its definitely a caveat emptor situation.

Long story short its important whoever sells or installs the reman'd motor should be very experienced in any after-installation issues that might arise AND be able to fix them.

I also bought a Ford reman'd steering box paying just about $100 more than the cheaper crap at AutoZone, Advance Auto etc etc. About 85K miles and almost 5 years in service the bottom seal just exploded---not a hint there was an issue. Considering that box replaced the original which had developed a minor drop-a-day leak from the bottom seal @ 177K miles I honestly thought I'd enjoy a longer service life from a Ford-branded part.

As the E-Series engines and such are no longer made or being produced we'll have to deal with reman'd stuff for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #8

Jasper FTW

Jasper doesn't just reman the engine, they use custom pistons and do other things that ensure the engine runs better than the factory version, i wouldn't hesitate to buy another Jasper V10 but i won't have too, this one will outlive me..
Jorje Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:35 AM   #9
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorje Pablo View Post
Jasper doesn't just reman the engine, they use custom pistons and do other things that ensure the engine runs better than the factory version, i wouldn't hesitate to buy another Jasper V10 but i won't have too, this one will outlive me..
That's interesting---but being cynical I'm sure there's more to Jasper's changes than simply trying to make the engine better.

If that's true then kudos to Jasper---if its purely economical and makes supplying their engines easier then its tough to imagine them making their work better than Ford's original manufacture.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #10

I called up Jasper and asked about what exactly they did to their remanufactured triton engines that make them "better" than Ford remans and the person who I spoke with said that they use a high volume oil pump and re-machine (and add more threads to) the spark thread plugs to try to eliminate the known issues with spark plug blow out.

The whole thing with the high volume oil pump I think is a valid upgrade for the 3V engines, however, (and please correct me if I'm wrong here) the 2 valve engines don't suffer from the same low pressure oil issue that the 3V engines do. At least that is what I've gathered from the reading I've done. From everything I've ready, it sounds like the 3V engines are a nightmare and it's just a matter of time until those engines fail - and that matter of time is typically 100,000 to 150,000 miles. A big mode of failure being from the phasers and also insufficient oil (hence the need for a higher volume oil pump).

I know several folks on here have commented that the 2V engines are not as troublesome as the 3V and that's a benefit of the Ford Vans compared to the trucks.