Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #1

Garage
Knewb Thinking Through Limited Slip Question

Lots of threads on this topic so I apologize if it's been beat to death. Just jumping into SMBs w/ Margot, our 2012 E150. When shopping around I was convinced I needed a LSD axle, but grabbed this van for the low miles and price despite it having an open Dana 60/3.73. Was planning on adding a diff down the road.

However, when I honestly think about the usage I'm not sure a diff is money well spent. We will be 90% (at least) pavement with almost all dirt being maintained roads to trail heads. I used to own a 77 VW Westy and drove that thing over all the same roads with zero issues. I also had an Xterra for a while doing all the same things. The 4WD was fun but never needed. People drive Prius's on most of the dirt roads around here ;-)

I'm starting to think spending money on all terrain tires and at least a rear sway bar would be better at this moment.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #2

Start with good tires first than see if ya need it. Than go for the true track later if ya need it
Itchy feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAshevlle View Post
Lots of threads on this topic so I apologize if it's been beat to death. Just jumping into SMBs w/ Margot, our 2012 E150. When shopping around I was convinced I needed a LSD axle, but grabbed this van for the low miles and price despite it having an open Dana 60/3.73. Was planning on adding a diff down the road.

However, when I honestly think about the usage I'm not sure a diff is money well spent. We will be 90% (at least) pavement with almost all dirt being maintained roads to trail heads. I used to own a 77 VW Westy and drove that thing over all the same roads with zero issues. I also had an Xterra for a while doing all the same things. The 4WD was fun but never needed. People drive Prius's on most of the dirt roads around here ;-)

I'm starting to think spending money on all terrain tires and at least a rear sway bar would be better at this moment.
We went through quite a few "off road" places around Moab and San Juan Mtns area. 2wd, open diff, and 32" BFG A/T tires. A limited slip would be very nice but we didn't have the time or money to get one. My plan was to find a factory 4.10 axle from an ambulance that had a factory LSD.

We have decided to go 4wd so going though the LSD/regear issue again. This is for 2 axles but I was quoted $3300 to regear front and rear and add a Truetrac in the rear. Split labor in half and add to the Truetrac then it would be $1200 for them to just to install the rear limited slip.

I would either looked for a used rear axle if you are running bigger tires and need both the LSD and lower gearing or do like was said above and just invest in some decent tires and maybe some traction boards.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #4

You can increase your chances of getting out of a tough spot with one-wheel drive (open diff) with a few tools that won't break the bank.
  • A shovel
  • A set of traction boards (MaxTrax or cheaper clones)
  • A few pieces of lumber that will let you use your jack in soft soft surfaces.
The next thing to add might be a portable air compressor. That would allow you to lower your air pressure in rear tires to increase footprint and gain traction.

--Joe
Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #5

FWIW - A rear sway bar on a non-extended van will be counter-productive for traction. If you want to improve roll-stiffness on an regular body, start with monotube-shocks. Definitely good tires is the best place to start start.

Factory traction control is actually ok for light-off-pavement situations, assuming you have RSC. Of you have Engine-Only-Traction-Control (non-RSC vans) then T/C won't help.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks y'all for confirming what I pretty much was thinking.

Gonna go with some solid AT tires, recovery boards, shovel, etc....and caution.