Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: LARGER BRAKES FOR 17 WHEELS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350MAN
I just replaced Vacuum booster with a Hydroboost unit on an older 1990 E350 4x4 van ...and I must say my brakes feel completely different much better than they ever have....

Not a big deal to switch them out...minor hole redrilling and fitting on firewall...definitely worth it!!
Do you have any recent photos of this swap---sounds highly interesting. Perhaps a write up detailing the process? Parts needed etc would be highly appreciated, at least by me.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
.....cut.......

When we upgrade race trucks from 12.2" to 14" rotors without changing anything else; the brakes are significantly better.
It's interesting that that big a difference in rotor diameter is the same as going from stock tires at 30.5-inch to 35-inch diameter tires. It's not perfectly linear as it affects braking "leverage" but it shows just how much difference increasing tire diameter can have beyond increasing ground clearance.

Obviously extra vehicle mass doesn't help either. My stock brakes/tires don't stop great at 7,000 pounds, so 10,000 pounds would make it that much worse.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #13

Not trying to Hijack this thread-JWA-Replacing vacuum booster with Hydroboost was really pretty easy.

1. Remove master cylinder and vacuum booster
2. make templater for hydroboost threaded bolts.
3. drill holes in firewall/i.e. open up existing holes essentially.
4. bolt hydroboost on and master cylinder on.
5. bleed brake system/I used vacuum bleeder worked great/also follow hrydroboost bleeding directions -easy
6. dont push to hard on brake pedal-it might put you thru the windshield-LOL

note: Bought new hydroboost for a 1978 Ford Thunderbird I believe-found an old one on a OBS van and got part number which gave me the idea to do it in the first place-$ 175 bucks or so I think

My original master cylinder worked perfectly with it-lucked out

DO IT-EASY
E350MAN is offline   Reply With Quote