Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Leaking Transferflow tank

Yesterday I started loosening strap bolts to replace my rusted tank straps. TF kindly made them up for me. I was going to gently clean the surface rust off the tank and paint it with POR-15.

Too late. I gently cleaned some rust off one corner and gas is very slowly weeping out. I put some gas tank putty on it, hopefully it will hold. The tank is pretty empty - I had run it down so there was less weight to support changing the straps. I'm going to put 15 gal or so in and see if that holds.

I'm going to call TF Monday and see if they will build/install a replacement tank, they had quoted the PO a price. Chico is just under 700mi from home so do-able in a day or so, and I have a week vacation I need to take before end of year.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #2

Re: Leaking Transferflow tank

Before you spend the money for a new tank, you might try Kreem:

http://kreem.com/

I've had good luck with it on Motorcycle tanks. The basic process is:

- Degrease the inside of the tank

- clean the tank with Kreem cleaner A & B

- Pour in the Kreem, and rotate the tank to cover all surfaces.

- Let it dry

The stuff seals seam cracks and minor rust through and will stand up to fuel and any additives.

It is a pain to do a large tank, but it is a lot less money than a new tank.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #3

If you could put Kreem in without rotating the tank, I'd be all over it, but taking the TF tank out is a major pain. I'm worried that if I take it out I find some major issue and then the van is stuck at home, and if I do need a new tank, I'd just rather have TF do the work.

The other thing I am most worried about is off-roading. My tank metal must be so thin now that one small rock hitting it could cause a leak. I was looking at the tank trying to decide if it was worth hitting it with POR or if it was too far gone, when I noticed the weeping....

Oh and caveat emptor on this issue. PO thought tank was fine and that his mechanic had said it would last another 10 years..... sigh (he got the quote from TF because I asked about the tank condition); The risks of buying long distance, as is.... I don't think he was lying, just being optimistic.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #4

Garage

Glenn, as with my great new bumper let me know if you want to part with the old tank. I'm looking for one and a new project for my biodiesel setup.

Btw bumper is all welded up and ready for paint. It is going to be awesome.

Brad
Old 11-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #5

Garage

Thanks again
Old 11-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
I'm going to call TF Monday and see if they will build/install a replacement tank, they had quoted the PO a price. Chico is just under 700mi from home so do-able in a day or so, and I have a week vacation I need to take before end of year.
I've driven up there twice now for repairs, the first a broken fill spout and the second a bad sender. I drove up the afternoon before and camped within a hour or so at a RV park so that I could make an 8:00 am appointment. Both times they got right on the job and finished it in time to make it home the same day (only 200 miles from our house). If you do end up going there, ask for a shop floor tour if they don't automatically offer it...very interesting operation!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #7

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Pull it out and have someone weld it up. They can overlay any corners or seams you are worried about.

Before someone freaks out about the idea of welding on a fuel tank - we do it all the time. If you know what you are doing there is no danger.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Pull it out and have someone weld it up. They can overlay any corners or seams you are worried about.

Before someone freaks out about the idea of welding on a fuel tank - we do it all the time. If you know what you are doing there is no danger.
Well, it is rusty and flaky all over..... I'm worried they'd be chasing holes all over it, and then I'd have one open up after it is fixed up.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #9

TF are going to make me a replacement tank - I still get the impression they will do this stuff if you are a customer with an existing product and need help. I wouldn't assume they would do this for you if you're a DIYer.

They're doing a fantastic price that includes install and the fact I already have the straps/fittings.

So, just working with them on scheduling it.

Brad - in terms of the old tank, it will be coming out in Chico, CA, so not sure how you would get it (I won't have space to bring it back, and the thing isn't exactly light either); from a liability perspective they may just want to crush it....

Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #10

I'm heading to Chico this weekend, to get my new tank Monday AM. They mentioned the aluminized steel they are using now is slightly more corrosion resistant.

Hoping to do a little gold panning and sluicing on the way home. There's a great creek about 25 miles from Chico. Yes I'll post a trip report, I'm overdue on posting my last trip.