Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Leaking T'Stat Housing

2003 E250 w/5.4 gasser, 263K miles---probably had OEM t'stat.

Noticed a microscopic leak from the housing where it mates with the crossover, just today replaced the t'stat and o-ring. I'll replace it with a new Motorcraft or Dorman part but wondering if I should use a touch of RTV at that time?

This is barely noticeable but I hate such things!

TIA

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

I usually do because water pumps, T'stats and housings are such a damn nuisance to fool with the first time and especially the second. I have had one or two that just never wanted to cooperate. Also, many parts houses idea of what hoses will fit the most common van on the planet (Ford Econoline) vary greatly. I've almost given up on prefit hoses from Rock Auto and other places you think would know. They are always too short or ill fitting and either don't flow right due to weird bends or they are 2 inches short.
Sorry for the novel. I'd use the goop.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
I usually do because water pumps, T'stats and housings are such a damn nuisance to fool with the first time and especially the second. I have had one or two that just never wanted to cooperate. Also, many parts houses idea of what hoses will fit the most common van on the planet (Ford Econoline) vary greatly. I've almost given up on prefit hoses from Rock Auto and other places you think would know. They are always too short or ill fitting and either don't flow right due to weird bends or they are 2 inches short.
Sorry for the novel. I'd use the goop.

Good idea and observations too Scotty---as it turns out what I thought was a leak was only residual coolant I couldn't wipe clean with a rag. Hosing the housing and the crossover with brake clean its dry as can be now.

It was necessary or prudent to change the t'stat, degas bottle, pressure cap and fan clutch too---as you say I was already in there, getting everything loose was a chore I don't look forward to re-doing anytime soon.

BTW pre-formed hoses that actually fit I'd use RockAuto's online catalog looking for the Motorcraft brand of whatever part you need. With that number in hand hit FleaBay, Amazon and finally RockAuto for the best price. I've done that a number of times and most times am saving 25%, 40% and even more % by comparison shopping. With hoses I refuse to compromise, they're simply too vital to go cheap.

Thanks again all----solved non-problem!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote