Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #21

Thanks for the quick response boywonder. I finally checked the dates on when you did your cooler installation. You mean you can't remember the part numbers on a couple of little fittings after 3 years?
I guess I'll have to make a run out of the mountains to the big city. Can't come up with anything online.
If I find a solution, I'll post it here - inquiring minds you know....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #22

My solution was to braze the two fittings together. We don't have a hose specialty shop in my hamlet in the woods. I'm interested as well in part #s or source.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #23

I've been on the verge of brazing too, but other folks have done it with two fittings.
Spent many hours online looking and came up with the following from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I should be getting them in the next week or so and will post on how they work.

Most brass fittings seem to have a working temperature range of up to around 200+ degrees??
The melting point of brass, depending on it's composition is over 1500. Hope the cooler works so the fittings don't melt....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 11-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #24

Well, almost don't know where to start here. Received parts referenced above and not even close. I don't really know much about inverted flare sizes, but the Trucool says it's fittings are 3/8"-24 inverted flare. That's what I ordered and what I received. Not close to the right size. Trucool also says on their website, if you look hard enough, that the the threads are 5/8"-18 and I measured them and that's what they are. The O.D. of the threads on the fittings supplied are 5/8" O.D. and 18 TPI. The fittings I ordered are 3/8"-24 and the O.D. on those threads are around 1/4". Much, much smaller.

After beating my head against the wall some more I went a different route. Was going to just get a 3/8"x1/2" hose adapter splicer, but really hate to have that many joints and clamps.

Went to Ace and bought a couple of 1/2" hose barb by 1/4" male pipe thread fittings. Part #4504270. The 3/8" hose barb end on the Trucool fittings slide right inside the 1/2" Ace barb end.

So, I cut off the Ace fitting at the base of the hose barb and then drilled it out just a little more so the Trucool fitting was a little loose in it. I then heated it up with a torch and soldered them together. Used lots of flux and the loose fit allowed the solder to flow from one end to the other.
Now I have the stock Trucool fitting with a 1/2" hose barb on the end just like is needed.

It's only solder and not brazed, but can't imagine it not being strong enough and with the solder running the entire length of the barbs it should be leak proof. Solder melts around 350 degrees so I should be OK there.

Haven't installed it yet, but maybe after Turkey Day. Before I do this, anyone think my solution has problems and just using a 3/8"x1/2" barb splicer might be better?

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 12-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #25

Well I finally got around to installing the cooler. Easy to do and fit right in as other folks have said. I've only driven it a little and it's been cool around here. Air temps around 30-35. In driving on mostly level ground at 55 mph my trans temps are now in the mid 150's.
Is that too cool? I would think that would keep condensation out and that's good but 155 seems a little cool to me.

Thots anyone??

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 12-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #26

If it never got above 150F, yes that would be too cool. As long as it occasionally gets above 170F, you're fine.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #27

Thanks Carringb. I think you're right. When I get a chance I'll give it a decent road trip. Worst case is having to block off part of the cooler in the winter.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 12-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter View Post
Thanks Carringb. I think you're right. When I get a chance I'll give it a decent road trip. Worst case is having to block off part of the cooler in the winter.
If I'm doing lots of winter-pass driving without the trailer, that's what I do. I have one of those billet grill inserts that's works perfect for this, but I pull it out for summer since it blocks too much air flow for summer towing.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter View Post
Well I finally got around to installing the cooler. Easy to do and fit right in as other folks have said. I've only driven it a little and it's been cool around here. Air temps around 30-35. In driving on mostly level ground at 55 mph my trans temps are now in the mid 150's.
Is that too cool? I would think that would keep condensation out and that's good but 155 seems a little cool to me.

Thots anyone??

Thermostat starts to open up at 175F. After warming up, my understanding is normal operating range is 60 to 90F over ambient. There are bypasses in place to minimize damage to the clutch plates when the fluid is cold. It also takes 30 min or more to get the ATF up to operating temp. IMO temps in the 150s is no cause for concern.

There's also quite a difference in temp depending on where it's being measured. The pan will always be cooler.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #30

Thanks for the input Joe. I think you're right. When I get a chance to drive the van I'll see what the temps end up being. I'd love to have them sit at 175 all the time, but that's not going to happen. Whatever, it's got to be better then the 235 I used to see.
I'll post what I get later on.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB