Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
LSD Rear diff issues

Why did this happen? I was getting some chatter when turning and added some additive a few months back but when I wanted to do a full fluid change today I saw sheared and/or backed out bolts. I change the fluid on a regular basis and have never seen something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
RE-1.jpg   RE-2.jpg   RE-3.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #2

Got me, but that don't look good!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Repair is beyond me and I wonder if I can make it to Fresno. I was planning to add a rear locker, guess time has come...

Old 09-16-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Repair is beyond me and I wonder if I can make it to Fresno. I was planning to add a rear locker, guess time has come...
Can't you unlock your rear hubs, undo the rear driveshaft, and go in front wheel drive?

Also, aren't there any decent 4x4 shops closer to you than SMBw?

Herb
Old 09-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Many things can cause the ring gear bolts to become loose and back out.
such as heat cycling , vibration , bolts not torqued to specs when installed,
lack of threadlocker or wrong type of threadlocker, if the bolts and the bolt holes aren't thoroughly cleaned with brake parts cleaner and dried prior to applying the threadlocker .
If the gears have no damage you can clean the debris from the case and remove / replace the ring gear bolts without removing the carrier.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Can't you unlock your rear hubs, undo the rear driveshaft, and go in front wheel drive?

Herb
I broke a driveshaft on a Sunday in upstate NY when I lived back east.. Took it out, locked the front hubs and drove my '79 F150 300 miles home to NH. No problem!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post

Also, aren't there any decent 4x4 shops closer to you than SMBw?

Herb
Yeah I can but worried about the existing bent bolts and what could happen on the way there. The only reason I would take it to SMB is if I can get the new guts for a reasonable price. In the past they had some used crap sitting around, LSD wise anyway. Besides I have other work they need to do on my "do" list. Maybe new locker time. Been thinking about that for the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTuppVan View Post
Many things can cause the ring gear bolts to become loose and back out.
such as heat cycling , vibration , bolts not torqued to specs when installed,
lack of thread sealant or wrong type of thread sealant, if the bolts and the bolt holes aren't thoroughly cleaned with brake parts cleaner and dried prior to applying the thread sealant .
If the gears have no damage you can clean the debris from the case and remove / replace the ring gear bolts without removing the carrier.
Thanks Jack, kind of what I was looking for although it seems there are a few more reasons than I imagined. The last time the cover was off was about 30,000 miles ago back in 2013 IIRC. The van is heavy so I ordered a full floater back in the day but I've kept up on the fluid changes well above what I thought was factory specs. This is just bad timing and might make me miss the Valley Of Fire meet but I'm sure glad it didn't give out on the trail. I just took the van where most shouldn't but it's only a tool for my FUN adventures. If I can't go where I want I might as well move to a larger type RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I broke a driveshaft on a Sunday in upstate NY when I lived back east.. Took it out, locked the front hubs and drove my '79 F150 300 miles home to NH. No problem!
Been there done that Robb. And I can probably drive in front wheel only for the short 90 miles to Fresno. Just don't want to do more damage. If I take it easy I think it'll make it. We cleaned the oil up and stuck the cover back on. Maybe time for a larger rear all the way around...damn money pit.
Like my buddy said, ain't no fun if you ain't breakin sompin.