Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Mass Air Flow Sensor?

I did a search and didn't fine much on this topic. So, As some of you know I've been chasing down my sudden loss in about 3MPG, it recently occurred to me that I had cleaned the air filter before the trip I noticed the decrease, could this be a factor? It's a K&N, did I use too much oil and coat the MAF? If so, how do I clean it?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

C.

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

I would think that if the MAF sensor had an issue it would throw an error code and your check engine light would come on. You need to clean it with a special cleaner.
CRC/Mass air flow sensor cleaner 05110 - Read 5 Reviews on CRC #05110
This is what I have used. My parents car just had this problem. Had P0170 and P0173 error codes (Fuel Trim Malfunctions bank 1 and 2). I hear cleaning the sensor works a lot of the time but in my case I had to replace the sensor.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

How to clean the Ford MAF sensor Part 1 -How to Clean the Ford MAF Sensor (Ford 4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L)
Old 02-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trquinn View Post
I would think that if the MAF sensor had an issue it would throw an error code and your check engine light would come on.
Mine has never thrown a code when over-oiled. It simply leans out the mixture to the point in can ping under high load / low RPM, or pull timing. I carry a an of cleaner with me now. My AFE filter hasn't been as bad on contaminating the sensor as my K&N was, probably since since the AFE is about 4x the size it doesn't pull as much oil through.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #5

The check engine light is not on at this point. I'll give a look to the links provided (thanks for those!) and see what I can find. SMBF to the rescue!
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote