Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2022, 10:16 AM   #21

Best bet is to stay in Loreto for parts sense! Mulege is almost 2 hrs. Loretto is a fishing port and has more mechanics shops because there are also boat mechanics. Parts are easier to locate in Loreto because the Baja course pretty much includes Loreto but usually does not include Sta Rosalia or Mulege because of the terrain. Although Sta Rosalia is an old international port (mainly French) because of mining in the region it no longer gets the international traffic it use to, so again more parts or access to them in Loreto!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:21 AM   #22

Best bet was to stay in Loreto for parts sense! Mulege is almost 2 hrs. Loretto is a fishing port and has more mechanics shops because there are also boat mechanics. Parts are easier to locate in Loreto because the Baja course pretty much includes Loreto but usually does not include Sta Rosalia or Mulege because of the terrain. Although Sta Rosalia is an old international port (mainly French) because of mining in the region it no longer gets the international traffic it use to, so again more parts or access to them in Loreto!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #23

We had diff troubles at about 160,000 miles. Repaired and replaced clutch in rear limited slip differential. Had been a loud bang when the clutch broke. Had also heard a few bangs a month or so before, so it didn't completely explode. The Ford dealer did a good job fixing, but it wasn't cheap. There was quite a bit of broken pieces in the diff when they opened it up.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:02 PM   #24

So… Got the van back on the 1st as the axle and bearing finally got here. Test drive is good then took it up to San Javier mission today. All is pretty good except that the US part supplier sent a non ABS compatible axle. Cannot install the ABS sensor so that and the RSC are not working and seeing the associated lights on the dash. I saw that the mechanic ordered the correct part number but whoever they got it from in the states made an error (or never really had the right part). Dunno.

I do not want to hang around for another 2 weeks to get the right axle so we will call it good enough and head south to Agua Verde tomorrow for a couple of days of beach camping. Then we have to head back to cold Colorado as we don’t have the time to go all the places we wanted to go.

I am sure the local chihuahuas will miss barking at Moki but Moki is getting really tired of them. Thanks all for your input and now I have to get the other axle bearing replaced. Was going to do that here but the bearing ordered locally for that side turned out to be made in China and the mechanic did not want to install that. Will have that done in Durango and see if my local guy wants to get the right axle or just replace the entire rear end setup with a full floater and new springs.

We head to FL in the van soon so need to make decisions.

Sure wish it was easier to post photos on this site’s software.

Bob
Old 03-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #25

Great news you're rolling again Bob! It would be good to know who you used in Loreto to get the work done. We're in that area quite a bit and that info could come in handy for others as well. Safe travels.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #26

Congratulations on your fix. Enjoy Agua Verde. The snorkeling is decent there!
Coloradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:01 PM   #27
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Nice, yes would be good info to the shop you used in Loreto, sounds like they were fairly knowledgeable. Sounds like you’ve got a shop you’ve been working with back home, but just in case, I had some work done in Durango when on the road last year at Built to Last, they did a great job fixing another shops shoddy work.
Glad you’re back up and rolling, enjoy Agua Verde, super place to chill and unwind after the ordeal.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 10:05 AM   #28

Hi all. Made it back home last Thursday and all went well. Even had to drive through New Mexico snowstorm to make it back.

Joe and Rick, the shop in Loreto is:
Tuller Mecunico "El Meñu"
Fernando Jordan #80
Loreto BCS C.P. 23880
Colonia Centro

613.121.4827 - speaks some OK English
613.135.0195 - unsure about English

They do know their stuff and I was pleased with them. They did all they could to help us out.

Agua Verde was freaking nice. The road in was spectacular. Tight, steep and twisty and just to ease the burden on the motor, we used 4x4 low range and had no issues getting in or out. Wound out through the brush to the beach. Fun trip even being stuck in Loreto. Like that place and will go back on next trip - maybe this fall.

We hit the little food shack for some tacos when we arrived and they were great. Fresh fried fish tacos are awesome but watch out for the hot sauce as it will burn away the flesh in your mouth if you use more than a few dabs. I am a hot sauce lightweight by the way.

Thanks again! Bob
Old 03-13-2022, 02:42 PM   #29

Glad you are back safely. Did they finish the concrete road bed on the mountain side into Agua Verde? They were working on it two years ago when we were there.

We got back last week and am just now catching up. We woke up to snow in Winnemucca on our way back. I was not happy to be back in the cold and wet.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:46 PM   #30

The road into AV is paved about half way to the “pass” and the big drop part of the road. Wanna go back in early fall when the water is warm.