Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Mechanics in Vegas? Trans slipping

Transmission slipping again. The rebuild Chris trans guy did started slipping after 3k miles. Took it to built to last in Durango who has repor with Ujoint. Said they fixed it. Chris flipped for the bill. Now 3 weeks later 1400 miles later doing it again. Lucky i crosseed the border yesterday from 2 weeks in Baja trans before it started slipping again. Got.here to Vegas from Mexicali started slipping bad this morning. Not sure wanna chance the 500 miles back to Durango.

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Considering it's happenning again, it's either

1) system was not properly flushed and/or an inline filter wasn't installed. Both are required to keep prior debris from trashing the rebuild

-or-

2) Something else is the root cause, like a sensor causing it to not lockup. Does it drive the same as pre-conversion?

PS - Why not just use a Ford reman? They have a good warranty and at the very least, service is only a tow-truck ride away.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #3

Wow, what a bummer. A transmission failure in Baja would be a real pain for sure, glad you made it back to the US.

CarringB, I just changed the fluid in my transmission. I doubt it has ever been done, yet the book calls for changing it every 30K. I'm worried about the fresh fluid loosing up old debris though. Do you recomend an inline filter in this case? Can I simply put it in line with the hose connected to the cooler? Thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
CarringB, I just changed the fluid in my transmission. I doubt it has ever been done, yet the book calls for changing it every 30K. I'm worried about the fresh fluid loosing up old debris though. Do you recomend an inline filter in this case? Can I simply put it in line with the hose connected to the cooler? Thanks.
You probably don't have anything to worry about. I think a transmission would have to be REALLY neglected, for new fluid to be the last straw.

That said, I do recommend the inline filter. With this in place, there's no reason to drop the pan when doing fluid changes. Last time my pan was off was around 170,000 miles. I'm at 447,000 now.... And yes, it just splices into the cooler hose, on the "cool" side of the cooler.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
You probably don't have anything to worry about. I think a transmission would have to be REALLY neglected, for new fluid to be the last straw.

That said, I do recommend the inline filter. With this in place, there's no reason to drop the pan when doing fluid changes. Last time my pan was off was around 170,000 miles. I'm at 447,000 now.... And yes, it just splices into the cooler hose, on the "cool" side of the cooler.
The 5R110W tranny in my van has an external filter which I changed when I did a fluid change. Do you still recommend another external filter for this unit as well?
Old 10-28-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

The transmission was rebuilt with a heavy duty torque converter by u joint just 6k miles ago when they did the coil conversion. Built to last in Durango dropped the transmission when it started slipping after 3k miles on the rebuild. They disassembled entire trans. Seals clutches looked good. But in the valve body #5 check ball not in correct location floating in another area, and put it in correct location. Suggested taking to ford I don't think is the right move. I do have 7yr 100k mile ford pre cert.warranty but since trans was altered not covered. think I can make it back home it only occasionally slipping 2nd into 3rd gonna be all hwy driving.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

At the risk of throwing salt in your wound, John Wood Transmission was 20 minutes north of Mexicali. You might have driven right passed his shop off the 111. John isn't at all cheap but would be the last transmission you'll put in that particular van. If your still in Las Vegas you only need to limp it the 98 miles south to Needles, Ca then your within a 200 mile free tow with AAA to John's shop in Holtville.

Sorry to hear your situation. Takes me right back to the Labor Day I was swimming in a pool of burning ATF under my van, stuck in Blythe, behind an abandoned gas station, where it was 101* at midnight.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
The 5R110W tranny in my van has an external filter which I changed when I did a fluid change. Do you still recommend another external filter for this unit as well?
No, swap out to the 6.4 pan which is deeper and fits an internal filter. You can still swap out the toilet paper external filter if you for a little extra filtration. Pretty common upgrade that is relatively inexpensive.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #9

1adler had mentioned that. Gonna give it a go to get back home. I emailed John no response. If I'm not feeling it 1st 1-2 hrs in today will whip around back to Vegas and figure something out.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
1adler had mentioned that. Gonna give it a go to get back home. I emailed John no response. If I'm not feeling it 1st 1-2 hrs in today will whip around back to Vegas and figure something out.
Can you get a uhaul truck & trailer in Vegas so it doesn’t grenade? Will the people that “fixxed it” pay for that? Would suck if you broke climbing grade after state line or got stuck in between baker or Barstow etc
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote