Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Modified Exhaust

I'm starting to make changes to my vehicle that I did not want to make during the original purchase. This includes adding a Pyrometer, larger tranny pan, selectable power enhancement, and what I am posting about here, exhaust.
I thought I would find some info on larger modified exhaust but...?
For those of you who have done it:
>Any power increase?
>Any help in heat dissipation?
>Did it add more noise?
>Does it screw with the engine computer?
>Any Ford issues on a modified exhaust?

I would like to hear pros/cons whether or not you have changed the OEM exhaust.
Thanks Dave B

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a Banks exhaust, but I bought my SMB used with it already installed, so I have no comparison. I had the turbo replaced under warranty with no issues. I have not seen any computer issues.

I've seen many warranty horror stories posted on TheDieselStop.com from people how have used programmers to gain more power, and Ford then voids their powertrain warranty. Maybe after my warranty is over I'll consider a minor power increase via a programmer. Chips and tuners leave behind an indicator that Ford can use to check if one's been installed, even after it's been removed.

I do have a Mag HyTec high capacity trans pan as I viewed it a cheap insurance for towing, and for the same reason, I have a BD Power X-monitor to keep track of EGTs, trans temp and boost pressure.

Herb
Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #3

Garage
I'm running a SuperChips tuner along w/ a custom cat back exhaust.

Definitely notice a bit more get up and go and the tranny has a little nicer shift points as well. The nice thing is I can revert to fully stock settings n about 5 minutes.

On the exhaust side of things, hard saying b/c it ws already installed when I got the van. It does have a bit more of a 'rumble' to the exhaust. By no means obnoxious.

all added up it has given my V10 about 1.5-2 extra mpg. I routinely hover around 13-13.5mpg