Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2023, 07:00 PM   #1

Modified exhaust for 4x4 ok to pass California smog?

Hi folks,

This thread on "how many cats"...

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ats-31400.html

...has got me wondering about any potential troubles bringing in an out-of-state SMB 4x4 conversion into California.

The all-over-the-map answers to the "cats" question has given me some pause. We have 3 cats on our 2001 5.4 that I had to replace several years ago.

I'm always on the prowl for the right rig to upgrade my 2WD SMB, but wondering if anyone has found it tricky to bring a modified non-CA vehicle when it needs to pass California smog. I scan all over the western US, but wondering if anyone has difficult stories getting used out-of-state 4x4 conversions where it sounds like the exhaust is modified, which isn't something I've considered.

I'm hoping I'm just being a little paranoid and all is well?

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:46 AM   #2

No... While I'm not a CA resident, from what I've read over the decades, your concerns are valid.

Even in PA, the "smog-exempt" status of my 1992 E350 7.3 IDI (pretty much zero emissions controls at all) is one of the reasons I've been hesitant to part with it, despite the issues and limitations. If (hopefully when) I can do a CTD 12V/Allison/4x4 conversion, the chances of inspection (yearly in PA) issues are minimal.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #3

Just wondering what the concern would be about a suspension modification. The only normal modification in a 4x4 conversion that potentially impacts the emissions is the modification to the fuel tank to make room for the transfer case. It would take a pretty observant tech to catch that.

There are plenty of Quigley's, QuadVans, etc. that came from out of state and pass smog in CA.

If you find a SMB or Quadvan rig with a TransferFlow gas tank installed by either SMB or QuadVan, there is a CARB compliance sticker on the driver door jamb. This sticker covers that replacement tank and allows it to pass that part of the smog test.

One other item is the fuel vapor recovery canister normally mounted at the rear. Those are sometimes moved but remain functionally compliant if installed correctly.

Any other engine mods such as tuners, or larger exhaust, air intake mods, etc. are going to create problems but those are not mods made by the 4x4 conversion installer.

We did have a 2003 v10 49 state Federal van that was from the factory that did not have a fourth O2 sensor that the 2003 CA vans required. We had to have the bi-annual smog tests done by a State Referee. That was actually a good thing because it was $8 and by appointment. It passed every time with the referee but never would pass at a normal smog test station due to the software failing to see the expected fourth O2 sensor.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:56 AM   #4

It may depend on the conversion, but sometimes the exhaust will need to be modified to route around the transfer case and/or front drive shaft.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Just wondering what the concern would be about a suspension modification. The only normal modification in a 4x4 conversion that potentially impacts the emissions is the modification to the fuel tank to make room for the transfer case. It would take a pretty observant tech to catch that.

There are plenty of Quigley's, QuadVans, etc. that came from out of state and pass smog in CA.

If you find a SMB or Quadvan rig with a TransferFlow gas tank installed by either SMB or QuadVan, there is a CARB compliance sticker on the driver door jamb. This sticker covers that replacement tank and allows it to pass that part of the smog test.

One other item is the fuel vapor recovery canister normally mounted at the rear. Those are sometimes moved but remain functionally compliant if installed correctly.

Any other engine mods such as tuners, or larger exhaust, air intake mods, etc. are going to create problems but those are not mods made by the 4x4 conversion installer.

We did have a 2003 v10 49 state Federal van that was from the factory that did not have a fourth O2 sensor that the 2003 CA vans required. We had to have the bi-annual smog tests done by a State Referee. That was actually a good thing because it was $8 and by appointment. It passed every time with the referee but never would pass at a normal smog test station due to the software failing to see the expected fourth O2 sensor.

Thanks Ray, just got a little worried reading the inconsistent exhaust comments in the other cat converter thread...I've bought quite a number of out-of-state cars over the years and I'm always a little apprehensive about smog certification.

I bought a mercedes about 8 years ago that had been shipped in from out of state by a dealer. Bought it CPO from an un-named MB dealer. When I got it home, they called me to tell me that they had forgotten to smog it, and that I needed to take it to a check station to get it smogged. As it was the first time registering it in CA, the car received a thorough proctology examination, and didn't pass because the emission sticker was missing from under the hood. Note that this was a 2-year-old car. Turned out the hood had been replaced (CPO=BS...but that's another thread). Local smog station wouldn't smog it, and I had to jump thru a bunch of hoops...ultimately with a smog check at the MB dealer (!) to get it to pass.

So I'm a little paranoid

The above experience makes me wonder if the exhaust and/or cat configuration were modified for 4x4 conversion if I might run into trouble with similar proctology examination of new-to-CA rig.

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
Old 03-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #6

If you've replaced the cats, they have to be from a CARB approved list for the specific vehicle they go onto. An inspecting may check and catch if they are not. There are approved parts for most (all?) of the gasoline vans, so you could fix this if you wanted to.

I (obviously) have a shortened tank, and that's never been mentioned. Evap lines are sometimes inspect quite carefully.

Technically all exhaust piping is supposed to be OEM, but I've replaced broken or rusted pipes on a couple of cars and never had anyone say anything about it. I'm pretty sure that's routinely done, and as long as the right cats and sensors are in place you're probably OK.

Intake modifications and tuners are also not OK and they will look for those.

All monitors have to have completed. I don't seem to set the catalyst monitor on mine during normal driving. I've heard similar stories from others. So make sure everything is ready. And if not, go through the Ford drive cycles to get them set.

I've always had techs tell me that the Ford cats generally do not fail the actual emissions sniffer test, and the read out values for my van, at least in the past support that it's well in the desired range.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:06 AM   #7

Different years had different cat configs. My '99 V10 is pre-close-couple cats and has a single cat. You also can not add cats that weren't there when the vehicle shipped and pass CA smog checking.

Yes, all stickers need to be there, but you could literally have someone take a picture of the right one and then tape a printout to yours. More importantly, the vehicle has to be a 50 state vehicle that was approved for CA when new. There are some ways around that for classic cars, but those loopholes are being closed again, and I honestly would not want to go to that level of effort for anything.

Having something small called out, fixing it and having to go back a second time isn't terribly unusual for a vehicle that wasn't maintained in CA.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
Yes, all stickers need to be there, but you could literally have someone take a picture of the right one and then tape a printout to yours.

Off-topic, but haha the MB sticker wasn't a sticker, it was some sort of fancy glued-on medallion that I tried for several months to get a new one of...MB wouldn't even hook me up. Still don't have anything...but it's passed smog since as I guess the first-time pass has already happened.

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"