Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #11

Re: More brake questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I went with frozen rotors, cryo and slotted up front, hawk pads and stainless lines all around, Nice upgrade on my 16"
I did l of the same except stainless lines. Still wasn't even close to the newer OEM stuff. I can't even recommend Frozen Rotors anymore because they would not fully warrantee the mast set of rotors I bought from then.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #12

Thanks everyone, looks like the plug and play options are:
Breakman
Frozen Rotors with Hawk pads
Napa premium

I'm going to price out these alternatives to get a sense of value-return but it's starting to feel like Breakman or Frozen better make a big difference to justify theis cost v/s Napa.

Any other info on cost or part numbers is appreciated, and thanks everyone!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #13

The Napa Ultra-Premiums have a shorter stopping distance than the Hawks, as tested by Michigan State Police. I like the feel better too. The Hawks did not stop well when cold.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #14

Ok I think I'm sold into frozen rotors, cryo and slotted and Napa ultra premium all around, about $1k on material. My hoses are fine so I'm passing on the SS lines, better put that safety dollar into a beefier diff cover.

I really like the red caliper but powder coating those sure looks like a lot of work. :-(
I'm pulling the trigger early Sept and will post the part numbers one I place the order.

Thanks everyone,
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

These look cool: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251617596557

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Shenrie, I've learned from this forum that no two beasts are ever the same...hence why I usually don't list part numbers any more, just brands for people to look up specifics for their particular rig. Hawk pads-LTS, stainless lines are stainless lines. Next go around I'll try the napa ultra-premiums. Been pretty happy with the hawks, especially coming from the stock pads that were all but dust when we pulled them out, and yes, have noticed that the brakes need a little warmup before they really start to bite, usually one good stop, but isn't that the case with all brakes?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #17

Garage

^^^ understood, but thanks for the info regardless.

all the hawk pads ive used needed to be warmed up before they really bit either. so no surprise from me at those comments. however i didnt know more than one company made ss lines for the van. ss lines on the integra made a pretty big difference in pedal feel, but ive found that they dont have as big of an impact on cars without abs. i assumed with these big beasts and abs, that ss lines would be a substancial mod. doesnt appear to be the case.

as for powder coating your calipers, that would be a lot of work imho. if it were me, id just buy one of the caliper painting kits available. they come with a special high temp paint thats easy to apply with a few coats and you dont have to dissasemble anything to get them the color you want. you just remove wheel and paint. some even come with stickers. my sister bought a kit for her 97 ss and it came with eveything including a clearcoat and some fancy camaro stickers. looked good when she got them done. or you can choose any of the high temp engine or wheel paints offered at schmucks or vatozone (or whatever parts places you have in your area). ive used those rattlecans many times with our little civic racecars and the stuff holds up really well as long as you prep good.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Sorry, forgot to add, I had the ss lines made for me with the old ones used as a template. I went to a garage that specializes in making brake lines and hoses in Loveland when Derek at CCV was doing the brake upgrades for me, I'm not sure theres ones off the shelf, again, because of our unique set ups with different fittings, lengths and particular axels and brakes. Ok, sorry for all the highjack posts....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #19

I think Chris @ Ujoint sells stainless lines so he might be worth a call.