Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Voodoo: Do you happen to have part numbers for the above-mentioned 6.0L coolers?

Member Nick and I looked at his 2006 6.0L cooler and it looked quite similar to the 11 row on my 5.4L....maybe it had 13 rows.....are we missing something?
Before I post further details, I should apologize for confusing install details on 2 of the best coolers to use. The factory Ford (and cheaper Dorman) 26's require some fabrication/modification/technical skills to get into the pre-2008 vans. The 2008+'s have way more room up there! I don't have the p/n's off hand, but it is the 26, not the 31 row from the trucks. The high quality cooler that does NOT require any great fanagalling is the Tru Cool Max # 4739. I know of a few diesel van owners that tow heavy in hot temps and they reported that they could not make Trans Temp go over 200* when they tried!
It is VERY important that any newcomers who might stumble upon this thread in future understand that the "more is better" mentality does NOT apply to transmission coolers due to flow restriction. One BIG cooler is better though!
Here is a link to the specs on the Tru Cool #4739:
TRU-COOL 4739-1 TRANSMISSION COOLER
You may find it for less elsewhere, not sure. I personally would recommend to anyone adding one to fully flush fluid, change pan filter every 60k miles, change Magnefine inline filter every 10k, and switch to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. For extreme duty usage, at least consider adding a performance valve body and triple disc torque converter. IIRC, the 2002-2003 vans with 4R100's came with trple discs. Everyone on here should know that if the transmission is running near 220*, they should slow down, return tuner to stock or lower HP tow tune, or take it out of overdrive or drop 1 gear and let it cool! For the more advanced, it is possible to add torque converter lock-up as well. Cheers!

VOODOO7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Stock cooler routing is 'In-Tank'-->'aux coolerer', so the aux cooler up front will cool the fluid more than the coolant does. Also, keep in mind that the coolant in the bottom tank has already been cooled, so it will not be the same 220F that is present at the inlet.
Coolant at the bottom of the tank is probably why this is OK. I'll try to get a measurement of the differential the next time I'm driving along with hot coolant.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote