Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #1

Motorcraft brake rotors: coated or non-coated

Please report if you have used the coated Motorcraft brake rotors up front on any 2008-2016 E-series. Especially RWD van.

They are priced $25-35 cheaper than the Motorcraft non-coated, seems counter-intuitive; more protection against rust and lower cost.

On one website the description in materials and manufacturing are identical except for the coating, can't rely on that one bit of copy though.

Will call a dealership to see if the parts guy can spot any differences in their documentation...

thanks

tothevancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:32 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Are you the same guy who posted the same question over on FTE? If so the replies you've received there should belay any concerns or questions you have regarding this new Motorcraft rotor feature.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

I still haven't heard from anyone who has used the coated rotors, maybe they are too new to get a report... I don't know, that's for sure. I'm collecting as much info as I can for my Auntie & Uncle so they can have a safe summer~! this should scare you: I am their expert! hehe
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm not sure when the coatings began to appear----I just happened to find them at a lower price than the uncoated versions. Since they were Motorcraft I didn't feel there was anything to loose so made the purchase.

Whether they prove to be "better" remains to be seen, time being the being the biggest factor. My hope is they're just the same thing with something added, not a lower quality part where the coating is thought to prolong the service life.

In the end they're just rear brake rotors---not a frequent maintenance task.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #5

Finally got back to this today; I had to call slightly outside my area as the parts counter here said there was nothing on his system regarding materials or treatment. the parts guy up north said the only thing on his system to account for the over $200 rotor/hub compared with the $140 offering was that he saw it listed as 'economy'. no information beyond that... again including no mention of any coating. he hypothesized the coating might be for shipping but admitted it was just a guess. Economy makes sense give the disparity in price... I think my my Uncle with go with them and I will definitely update the thread if when I get a road report.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothevancave View Post
he hypothesized the coating might be for shipping but admitted it was just a guess. .
I had a set of Powerstop rotors that rusted horribly in six months. They were drilled and slotted, and the rust clogged the holes and slots. The interior of the cooling fins were solid rust too. I called Powerstop and discussed all the rust and hypothesized that the metallurgy was such that there was little to no corrosion protection cast in, so bad rust was inevitable, and they agreed that some blanks cast in China had less quality control over the metallurgy. The sent me a new set made in Germany they said solved the rust issue. I couldn't wait for them though and replaced the slotted ones with locally sourced ones, so I've never run the new one's and can't report on rusting. I suspect the "coating" your hearing about may be a rust preventative of some sort with no impact on braking or wear. Once in a while I'll get a brake caliper that is coated with something and doesnt rust, but most of them are bare steel and even if painted, they rust. I've tried ordering coated ones, but it's random, they all seem to have the same part number.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote