Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 04:17 AM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Motorcraft Lower Quality Parts Being Offered

Found this bit of information about a new designation for Motorcraft parts alluding to "high service" duty or use. Here's what a member on FTE discovered and shared:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktmpilot View Post
Well, after some more web browsing, I think I know what this references and why the price is cheaper. Of significant note is that this reference isn't used by ford websites but is referenced in a roundabout way in a few trades articles discussing the “new” motorcraft company direction.

As near as I can tell, ford is trying to recoupe some of the sales lost to other aftermarket companies because in most cases, their parts are much higher priced (albiet better quality) than the competitors. Their approach is some vehicles with high mileage dont really need the full quality of Ford’s OEM spec parts. E.g. part will last 200k miles but car will never make it that far as it already has 300k on it.

If I got it right, Ford’s going to build a part that DOESN’T meet OEM specs and sell it for less using this “misleading” high level service tag to differentiate it from it’s normal OEM quality parts while charging slightly less than the ‘normal’ part.

What’s kinda disturbing is that this isn’t clearly communicated which will lead folks to unsuspectingly buy a motorcraft part that is inferior to OEM. What a way to risk their reputation for a few bucks. Lable it ‘economy’, ‘near OEM’, or something clearer and be explicit that it isn’t built to OEM specs. I keep thinking of how many companies have gone down this path and totally trashed their reputation. Husqvarna was a high quality swedish product that now makes saws in china that look like their swedish versions but are junk. Eddie bauer isnt worth anything as to brand quality as it once was due to selling everything and anything with that label regardless of its quality. Just SMH.....
For those shopping for or insist upon Motorcraft this is somewhat troubling only because it's probably not intended to be known, hoping the brand name alone and cheaper prices will bring back the "budget conscious" buyers who've opted for the AutoZone, Advance Auto etc etc etc brands based on cost alone.

I hope this helps those who use first quality parts for their rigs. I'll be posting this in the General category too so it might be spread to others here on SMB.

​​​​​​​

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote