Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #31

Re: I think my tranny is toast. UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS
Yes, Ford used their full floater rear axle on most 350 Vans up to about 1999. I use the Ford full floater on all my vans.
http://ujointoffroad.com/axles.html

How does one determine if the read axle is a FF? I have a 2009 E350SD 6.0PSD and have been trying to figure out of the rear axle is FF or not.

Thanks,
DJM

djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #32

Re: I think my tranny is toast. UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm68
Quote:
Yes, Ford used their full floater rear axle on most 350 Vans up to about 1999. I use the Ford full floater on all my vans.
http://ujointoffroad.com/axles.html

How does one determine if the read axle is a FF? I have a 2009 E350SD 6.0PSD and have been trying to figure out of the rear axle is FF or not.

Thanks,
DJM
If the rear hub sticks out past the wheel, it is a FF. If it is flat/recessed, its a semi-float.

2009 vans with RSC (which means all gasser wagons, and also bare vans with the RV prep package), got a full float. Other vans may or may not have the FF. Even the the diesel vans may have the RSC logo on the back door, they do not actually have RSC.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #33

Re: My rear diff is toast & more! UPDATE

Quote:
The “Full Floater” has the bolt heads showing - The “Semi Floater” has NO bolt heads. (Could be either Drum brakes or Disc brakes - The axle ends look the same)

Attached Thumbnails
Full Float.jpg   Semi float.jpg  
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #34

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
you should certainly consider an an EGR delete if your local emissions allows it.
The external BPD oil cooler is quite spendy at $2000 and to my knowledge has not been configured to fit a 4x4 SMB with an aluminess bumper. There will be modifications required.
Thanks, Joe. I have a Road Armor bumper and have no idea where the external cooler should be located and if it will require modifications. I don't want to find out incompatibilities while the thing is all apart at the dealers service dept ($120/hr). Perhaps a newer FORD unit will do, since I've had the coolant filter onboard for a couple of years now.

I doubt I could get away with the EGR delete in California! I'd never pass my next smog check...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #35
Site Team

FWIW, last year I went with a (redesigned/updated?) Ford oil cooler and a Bullet Proof Diesel EGR. I didn't bother with ARP head studs, given the power level in the van engines as ooppossed to the pickup truck engines.

I didn't even consider an EGR delete given Calif diesel testing, though someone would need to know what to look for and where to look in a van engine compartment.

Herb
Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
you should certainly consider an an EGR delete if your local emissions allows it.
The external BPD oil cooler is quite spendy at $2000 and to my knowledge has not been configured to fit a 4x4 SMB with an aluminess bumper. There will be modifications required.
Thanks, Joe. I have a Road Armor bumper and have no idea where the external cooler should be located and if it will require modifications. I don't want to find out incompatibilities while the thing is all apart at the dealers service dept ($120/hr). Perhaps a newer FORD unit will do, since I've had the coolant filter onboard for a couple of years now.

I doubt I could get away with the EGR delete in California! I'd never pass my next smog check...
If you're having the dealer do it they wouldn't do a delete anyway. You can partly accomplish the same thing a delete would do by turning the EGR off with a programmer like an SCT turner. You'll still have coolant passing through the EGR cooler but no more soot is injected back into the engine. Either way, replace both the EGR cooler with a better designed one like the BPD or Sinister and also the oil cooler. Not much extra labor to do the oil cooler since you're already in there. If you're interested BPD is looking for a test subject to retrofit their external oil cooler to a 4x4 van.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #37

Garage

Thanks again, Joe.

There will be no EGR bypass. Don't want it. Illegal and earthly unfriendly.

I contacted BPD and asked about installs in vans modded like ours. I offered to be a tester. Good tip!

Herb, I think I'll skip the head gasket and stud job for now. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Quote:
The “Full Floater” has the bolt heads showing - The “Semi Floater” has NO bolt heads. (Could be either Drum brakes or Disc brakes - The axle ends look the same)

Great. I will take a look this evening.

Cheers,
DJM
djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #39

Garage

UPDATE:

Today I ordered the BPD EGR cooler kit with a new oil cooler, and the ARP head stud kit for the head gasket job that I decided to get done now. The top diesel tech at the dealer has done these jobs before and recommended they get done at this time. Rear diff will be fixed maybe today and then they can drive the rig into the service bay for the extraction and all the PM servicing I'm doing. Probably another two weeks to completion.