Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Phil,

You could also try searching, or posting, on www.TheDieselStop.com A great Ford diesel resource, with a number Ford diesel techs as members.

Herb

Old 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
Sam

Phil:

I talked to my friend today about your van. He doesn't know a lot about diesel engines but his thought was that it might be a fuel sensor. Reason being that once the diesel engine starts, the way you shut them off is through fuel starvation. Guess that isn't much help to you now if at all. I hope that all turns out well for you on this repair. Nice to see that you were able to make lemonaide out of lemons & had a good day touring around via 2 wheels!

Good luck!

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #13

Van died

It's likely that the HPOP ( high pressure oil pump) failed... Common on 6.0

PSD....... Good Luck

JM
Old 11-18-2007, 10:09 PM   #14
Sam

Phil:

I talked to my friend today about your van. He doesn't know a lot about diesel engines but his thought was that it might be a fuel sensor. Reason being that once the diesel engine starts, the way you shut them off is through fuel starvation. Guess that isn't much help to you now if at all. I hope that all turns out well for you on this repair. Nice to see that you were able to make lemonaide out of lemons & had a good day touring around via 2 wheels!

Good luck!

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #15

I'm clueless on mechanical stuff so can't help on that front. I did, however, have a good experience with the Ford dealership in Bishop when an AC line failed and I lost all my coolant. Hope your repair goes well too and please let us know what happened. I'm heading up that way early next week so we may pass each other on 395.
Rob
Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #16

Waiting on the diagnosis this morning. Passed a maroon 4x4 SMB heading south as I was peddling down main street early this morning. Seems to be a popular SMB route!

Ford guy said the battery light doesn't really mean much other than there is no vehicle information getting to the computer. Kind of a general "there's something wrong light".

Only one diesel technician at this Ford dealership (surprising since nearly every truck in town is a diesel), but they were nice and hopefully will get to my van soon.

Stay tuned .....

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #17
BC

someone said fuel sensor....I would have them check specifically on fuel and fuel delivery.

I had a similar thing happen and it turned out to be a lose ground wire at the fuel pump sensor which is down at the tank, actually attached to the replacement tank. It was on the V10 but could be similar...
BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #18

They've identified the part, but the service manager isn't going out of his way to tell me what the part is. Only that it is an easy fix when the part gets here from Ontario tomorrow (hopefully). Enterprise (only national rental car in town) won't give us a one way rental to Vegas so I can get my family on their way. Quite frustrating.

Anyone passing through Bishop that wants to take my family to Zion?

Uhg .....

Thanks for all the suggestions, but it is now up to a guy in Ontario packing up the mystery part and getting it on a truck to here.

Phil

Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #19

Phil,

I sure hope you and your family are back on the road soon! We're heading up 395 & through Bishop Wednesday. If there is anything you need from Los Angeles...let us know how we can help. Just PM me.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #20

Jeff -

Thanks for the offer. The part should be there sometime today, but we decided to get on with our trip and rented a pickup. You can say hi to our van sitting behind the Ford dealership. In theory, we will pick it up Friday.

I hope you have a good trip!

Phil