Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #1

My van died .... any suggestions appreciated.

Hey Everyone.

So we left on our trip today going to Zion via Death Valley. Coming down a relatively long grade (into Benton Hot Springs if anyone knows it), I was down shifted into 3rd to control my speed (I had done the same coming off of Tioga pass earlier in the day without issue). Everything was fine until I tried to give the throttle a little nudge. The engine died, battery light came on and "check gauges" display lit up. That's all she wrote. The engine spins like a banshee, but won't start. No sign of ignition.

Long story short, a flat bed tow truck ride to Bishop and here we sit in a hotel. No services until Monday.

Any ideas on what I can check out tomorrow? I'm guessing its a dead alternator, but possibly the "alternator fuse" (not sure what that even connects, but found it mentioned in the manual).

Vehicle is a 2005 6.0 PSD. Van was running great until this happened.

All ideas are welcome as I have all day Sunday to mess with it until service station opens on Monday.

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Sam

Phil:

Just read your post. Sorry to hear about your van problem. The dead alternator doesn't seem correct to me. If it were dead, that would mean that your battery wouldn't charge & therefore, it wouldn't turn over like a banshee as you describe. Not unless you have a spare battery & are able to start your engine that way. Are you sure that you don't have spark? What about fuel? I'm not sure what you mean by PSD.

Those are just my thoughts on what to check. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. Good luck! I'd like to know what your problem was when you find out.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #3

Sam -

Thanks for the reply.

PSD = Power Stroke Diesel

This was a sudden failure, so battery would be charged if alternator had just died. I also believe that the house battery ties into the starting battery through the battery isolator after the key is in the "on" position for a period of time. So starter could be pulling from the house battery??

I am not all that knowledgeable on diesel engines and their electronics. This is the first one I've had. I am generally handy with engines and electronics, but don't even have a multi-meter with me. (note to self, keep van stocked with a multi-meter).

Phil

Old 11-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Sam

Phil:

I'm in the same boat as you with a diesel. Have you tried to start your van off of the regular battery & not the house battery? I'm going to try & call a friend of mine in WA. & see if he has any ideas. I'll post again if I get in touch with him or not.

Sam
Old 11-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #5

Thanks Sam!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
Sam

Phil:

No luck. He didn't answer. If I talk to him tomorrow, I'll post a reply. Mean while, sit back relax & enjoy the Leonid Showers!

Sam
Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Oni

Sorry about your troubles.

Don't know if this has anything to do with your problem...but years ago my old Toyota just died while I was driving. Same thing...hit the gas and it just died. Would crank...but nothing.

It was the timing chain. Your SMB sounds much too new for this to happen...but symptoms sound similar.

If it was the alternator, it should be drivable until the battery goes flat I think. I've driven for miles with the alternator light on with just battery power.

Don't know much about diesels. Hope it's something simple! Maybe check fuses for fuel pump and injectors? Good luck.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Believe SMB's are set up to start off the vehicle battery, and will draw on the house batteries if necessary. The vehicle battery is isolated so that the house battery draw will not affect the stater battery (it's a one way assist). Do you have the little battery voltage indicator that you plug into the cigarette lighter? SMB gave me one when I went there for some mods earlier this year. If you plug it into the dash lighter socket, it will read the van starting battery, and if you plug it into an auxilliary lighter socket (if you have one) in the passenger compartment of the SMB, it will read the house battery voltage.

Long story short, it doesn't sound like an alternator issue to me. Probalby some stupid sensor. Check all your fuses. I don't suppose you have anything to scan for an error code do you? We could probably research a code for you if you could read one.

Herb
Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #9

Herb -

I didn't think to plug the little voltmeter into the front lighter socket and I'm tired of riding my bike down to the dealership to visit the van. All fuses looked OK that I could look at.

My boys and I got to know Bishop by bicycle today. Nice day! You know ... make lemonade out of lemons thing. A tan 4x4 SMB passed us on our bikes today with a surf board or windsurfer on top. At least theirs was running!

They towed my van to the wrong dealership last night, so had it towed to the correct one today (only two dealerships in town) to get a nice early start on trouble shooting and hopefully repair tomorrow.

I'll follow up with what the problem turns out to be just in case it happens to anyone else.

Thanks for the input!

Phil

Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #10

Oh yeah .... I also do not have a scan gauge or other way to read codes, but I think that is now on my list .....

Phil